Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook

Find out more

Help . .getting dd to school!

(20 Posts)
knackered76 Thu 02-Dec-10 08:09:27

She is currently upstairs refusing to go, she's 5. No reason just doesn't want to go. We have had this every so often and have a chart to encourage her but today it's not working! Any ideas? I've already told her if she doesn't go she can't go to her gymnastics tonight but even that hasn't worked!

herbietea Thu 02-Dec-10 08:12:37

Message withdrawn

TheLifeOfRiley Thu 02-Dec-10 08:14:49

There must be something in the air this week, there was a thread te same the other day with a 7yr old boy!

I'm in the school of thought you need to take her in (my ds is a school refuser too).

knackered76 Thu 02-Dec-10 08:17:35

Gearing myself up for the physical struggle

SoupDragon Thu 02-Dec-10 08:19:31

What herbie said. Its one of the things I take no nonsense over.

knackered76 Thu 02-Dec-10 08:22:26

I'm not letting her stay at home it's just SUCH a hassle! The thing is she seems to love school . . . . .grrrrrrr

piscesmoon Thu 02-Dec-10 08:24:46

I just used to tell DS he was going if I had to pick him up and take him in his pyjamas. It never came to that, he grumpily got dressed and used to march into school with a face like thunder-as he got through the door he changed it to a smile and had a great time. His teacher was amazed when I told her!

Adair Thu 02-Dec-10 08:25:06

Don't engage in any further discussion about going/not going to school (assuming you have done nicely, why don't you want to go? darling chats). Talk about something else - whether she'll see lots of cars in the snow, will there be any animal footprints? what decorations will you make for christmas? anything. And get her ready and take her as you talk.

BarbaraWindsor Thu 02-Dec-10 08:28:57

It won't be no reason, she just can't explain the reason to you - have patience!

She's still a baby.

knackered76 Thu 02-Dec-10 08:35:05

She's now half dressed so getting there! Pathetic amount of snow here is managing to distract her a bit as well . . . . now for the top half!

MrsBowie Thu 02-Dec-10 08:49:32

DS has an imaginary (oops, sorry, invisible) dog called Mr Yolk. When he's being a pain about getting ready for/going to school I say, "Oh no! Mr. Yolk is in the car and we forgot to feed him!" A handful of "invisible Yolk Yummies" gets him out of the house like a shot!

TheUnmentioned Thu 02-Dec-10 08:56:02

Why are there ever threads like this? She goes to school whether she likes it or not, end of.

Imo saying if she doesn't go she can't go to her gymnastics tonight sends her the message that there is the option not to go. There is not that option, or there shouldnt be at least.

MrsBowie Thu 02-Dec-10 09:09:32

There are threads like this because, even though we know that our BOJs MUST go to school, sometimes it is a complete nightmare and other advice, funny anecdotes and support might be all we need to get through a tense day.

It helps me, anyway.

SoupDragon Thu 02-Dec-10 09:09:40

Perhaps, TheUnmentioned, its because people want advice from superior, perfect parents like yourself. wink

TrinityMotherOfRhinos Thu 02-Dec-10 09:12:08

I agree with unmentioned
no point trying to make her want to go but threatening to take stuff away or stop her going to other things because she must go

I also agree with mrsBoiwe, a little chat and fun can help the mum in this position

MrsBowie Thu 02-Dec-10 09:13:39

Ah, yes - I didn't think of that! wink

knackered76 Thu 02-Dec-10 09:54:09

She is there and all is well! And the point of these threads is as MrsBowie said, sometimes it's all that's needed to help On the plus side, she should sleep well tonight grin

TheLifeOfRiley Thu 02-Dec-10 09:59:11

Glad you got her there op, I agree sometimes a little virtual support is all we need on a difficult morning, nothing wrong with that!

piscesmoon Thu 02-Dec-10 10:06:15

I don't see why people shouldn't ask! Everyone wants their DC to go happily so it makes sense to ask advice.

TheUnmentioned Thu 02-Dec-10 11:09:51

Soupdragon Well that goes without saying, obviously!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now