Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

struggling to manage screamy baby and toddler

(12 Posts)
PaulineMole Wed 01-Dec-10 16:33:40

dd2 is 5 weeks. she is one of those babies - screamy, not napping (yes the two probably are linked but i can't fix either just yet), wanting to be walked round. won't take a dummy.
dd1 is 3,6 and is an angel - very placid toddler. problem is how to give her enough time and attention. i have to put dd2 down to cook for dd1, sort out her bath etc, and she screams blue murder. often she screams if not put down. it is visibly upsetting dd1, who is spending most afternoons parked in front of cbeebies. dh is a big help when here, but works long hours.

anyone got any top tips for me?

Mercedes519 Wed 01-Dec-10 16:40:05

First take a deep breath and remember it will get better.

On a more practical note have you tried a sling round the house? Keeps bub moving but you can get on?

PaulineMole Wed 01-Dec-10 16:43:55

got a wilkinet but it a bit cumbersome for around the house, plus she still screams in it, the little toad. i bought a maya wrap from ebay and am waiting to receive it. am hoping that a more snuggly sling might help.

Arabella36 Wed 01-Dec-10 17:01:04

A friend of mine had a baby like this and found that one of those newborn baby swing devices worked well. It's a comfy thing which sort of rocks them. Worth a try!

PaulineMole Wed 01-Dec-10 17:16:17

thanks for your ideas arabella, but lovely MIL bought a swing, and DD2 is not impressed confused.

5DollarShake Wed 01-Dec-10 18:57:00

I popped DD in a wrap, and got on with it as best I could.

In a few weeks in WILL be much better. DD was a screamer for several weeks but now at 16 weeks she is a different baby - so calm and content. I'm sure all the slinging helped. wink

PaulineMole Wed 01-Dec-10 19:03:34

5dollar shake, that's just what i wanted to hear grin

dd2 did actually let dd1 and i eat in peace tonight, so perhaps things are slowly on the up....

<sweeps memory of today's purple-faced screaming fit in Sainsbury's under carpet>

Jacksterbear Wed 01-Dec-10 19:14:21

I have a kari-me sling (here)and it's an absolute life-saver for dealing with a 10 wk old DD and a 3.10yo DS. DD in in now, have just finished putting DS to bed while DD slept soundly in it. Without it she screams all evening sad.

CommanderDrool Wed 01-Dec-10 19:24:50

Don't worry. This is normal life for toddlers all over the world. It will pass.

I found it helpful yo take them out and chat to toddler along the way hoping baby would sleep.

But really the time will fly and it will get easier.

PaulineMole Wed 01-Dec-10 19:52:09

you're right commander, getting out makes a difference. i think things have come to a head due to the amazing combination of a) being snowed in and b) dd1 getting flu and not being fit for toddler group etc.

<prays for unseasonal heatwave>

stilldazed Wed 01-Dec-10 20:23:18

I was in exactly the same situation 1 month ago (I have a, now 2 month old DS and 18 month old DD).I am co sleeping DS and a night he was no poblem but during the day screamed whenever I put him down.

my friend suggested swaddling which I did and haven't looked back.It calmed him right down I do it every day now and he is really settled.

Good luck!

Octaviapink Thu 02-Dec-10 10:30:39

I've got a 1-wk old DS and the Close sling we've got has been a lifesaver. DD (18m) is all over the house (which has three floors and lots of stairs!) and I cannot imagine what I'd do if DS wasn't strapped on the entire time. I cook, clean, do laundry, play with DD - everything. Though you do have to remain fairly upright and you can't see your feet, it's still better than the alternative!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: