Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Just a cold or worth worrying about? 4 months old.

(5 Posts)
NinkyNonker Wed 01-Dec-10 09:33:26

DD is 4 months old and on her second cold, but this one seems much worse. She was congested for 2 wks and that has now developed into a nasty hacking cough which has got worse. She really struggles to breathe sometimes when coughing, it doesn't sound that mucosy any more so I'm worried it might have moved onto her chest?

Her nose is streaming thick goo (sorry!) and her eyes are watering. She sometimes has a coughing fit when feeding (EBF) and throws the whole feed back up all over me...which is really unusual for her.

I am very concious of making a fuss where one shouldn't be made (PFB/inexperienced parent!) but she just seems so poorly and uncomfortable. She is happy enough in herself most of the time, but is it just a cold?

If it is, is there anything I can give her/do to help her feel better?

Thanks in advance!

winnybella Wed 01-Dec-10 09:35:38

Take her to the doctor- things can progress very quickly in babies. Docotr will check for chest infection.

Goingspare Wed 01-Dec-10 09:44:50

Yes, go to the doctor. Don't be too worried about being PFB with a little baby; any decent GP would rather reassure you about a cold than miss a baby with a chest infection.

NinkyNonker Wed 01-Dec-10 10:04:33

Thanks all, I tried to take her on Mon, but was sent to the nurse instead. At that point her cough was really mucosy and she was congested, but her chest was clear apparently.

Now her cough isn't mucosy but is drier and more frequent and she is streaming...not sure if those are good signs (that cold is on way out) or bad signs that it is developing!

BlueChampagne Thu 02-Dec-10 15:17:39

How's the breathing? I think that's a key thing to keep an eye on. If it starts to sound wheezy, go back to the GP, also if she goes off her milk. Agree with Goingspare - err on the side of caution with one so young.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: