Talk

Advanced search

Question about wiping baby girls' bottoms when nappy changing

(11 Posts)
Jacksterbear Tue 30-Nov-10 14:02:40

I know about wiping front to back to avoid infection, but what do you do when the poo has gone all the way round the front and you can see it's gone inside the labia? Do you pull them apart to wipe or just leave it and hope it washes out in the bath?! Not sure whether if you try to wipe it you could end up pushing it up further inside and making it worse, IYSWIM!

neverenoughMEtime Tue 30-Nov-10 14:20:18

I just gently pull apart and pour warm water/gently wipe until she has a bath later on.

jennifersofia Tue 30-Nov-10 14:21:03

Hi, when this has happened in the past I just try to gently hold apart and gently wipe downwards (eg front to back), having several goes, re-folding the wipe or using a fresh wipe with each go.
If it looked really bad or very sticky and too difficult to get out, I would do a very quick bottom wash in the bath, just leaving the babygro on but tucking the ends right up (front end tucked in at neck bit, back end tucked at back of neck. Hope this makes sense.

mylifewithstrangers Tue 30-Nov-10 14:23:15

I used to do similar to jennifer, tuck up clothes and run her under the tap smile

lal123 Tue 30-Nov-10 14:25:35

Of course you clean it! How would you like your "bits" to be full of sh*t?

skydance Tue 30-Nov-10 14:27:46

I do the same as neverenough, just gently pull apart and wipe carefully with a clean wipe, you've got to get it off, I figured I can't just leave it stuck on there!

neverenoughMEtime Tue 30-Nov-10 14:28:52

lal123 i think OP was asking how..as in which is the best way...so she has 3 helpful answers - gently clean with cotton wool and water/wipe, or rinse in bath.

Not "am i allowed to clean it or should i leave it"

hmm

Jacksterbear Tue 30-Nov-10 14:34:16

Thanks neverenough yes that's what I meant although I see in my OP I did say "do you leave it" - didn't actually mean should I not try and wipe it at all, but how much should I delve into the front parts to try and clean it / what's the best way of doing it!

Thanks for the suggestions.

Unwind Tue 30-Nov-10 15:01:38

another thing which works is using a bidet to give a quick wash - much less hassle than running a bath

winnybella Tue 30-Nov-10 15:04:29

What never and jennifer said. I've never had poo actually enter the vagina, it's just the labia, you don't have to worry about 'pushing it in'.

Dexterrocks Tue 30-Nov-10 15:40:45

My hv taught me to flatten a cotton wool bud and gently push it through from front to back to clean thoroughly but gently. It was a handy wee trick when out and about where a mini bath was not an option.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now