Talk

Advanced search

How old do babies need to be to go in sleeping bags

(7 Posts)
Samraves Mon 29-Nov-10 10:17:55

Hi there,

I have a 10 day old baby weighing 6lbs 10 and so I am using sheets and blankets right now, but I have been given a number of sleeping bags which I want to start using asap. How older how much must she weigh before I can start putting her in them? Also most don't say how many tog, but all quite quilted as similar so do I assume 2.5 and just right with asleep suit for winter if room is approximately 17/18 degrees?

Mind you sleep is still wishful thinking!

Thanks

Sam x

reallytired Mon 29-Nov-10 10:29:09

You can use a sleeping bag from birth, provided that you have the right size sleeping bag. Although its a bit of a pain when your baby poos in the night and needs changing.

I found it easier to wait until your baby is about six weeks old and isn't pooing at every single feed.

mousymouse Mon 29-Nov-10 10:36:40

dd was a winter baby and I had her in the sleeping bag from birth. she wore a long sleeved vest, a sleep suit and the 2.5 tog grobag. our bedroom has no heating and she was comfortable.

Roo83 Mon 29-Nov-10 11:31:38

Most of the sleeping bags I've used were suitable from 7lbs. Both mine were over this at birth so I think it's a size thing rather than age. Just check the labels carefully,they may do bags for babies under 7lbs or you may have to wait a few more weeks

sparkle12mar08 Mon 29-Nov-10 13:13:41

Depend on how recent they are. When I had ds1 four years ago, the smallest official grobag size was the 0-6m from 10lbs one. More recent ones are 0-6m from 7lbs, and they tend to have poppers on the underarm section to effectively narros the armhole. This prevents the baby falling down inside the bag. If your baby is large then they'll be fine from birth but I'd wait till at least 7lbs, and 10lbs if you think they are older bags, or without underarm poppers.

Samraves Mon 29-Nov-10 13:37:20

Thanks, I will check out the bags I have then, if I am lucky I may have a couple of new ones from birth- but they all look pretty big :-s

humanfraggle Mon 29-Nov-10 13:43:38

i was told that as long as the head couldn't fit through the neck hole, it was fine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now