Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Should I be more worried she's not eating!!

(8 Posts)
sugargirl1 Sun 28-Nov-10 17:53:35

This is my first thread so please bear with me. My DD is 13months old and for the past week her eating/sleeping habits have completely changed.
Her morning naps and lunchtime naps are now lasting close to two hours EACH and she is still sleeping through the night despite this 7 - 7am. But her eating habits have changed. She will have a full bottle of ff milk for breakfast plus some raisin wheats - she used to then eat some of my bagel with philly but isn't interested anymore. She has little lunch - about 8-10 mouthfuls of spag bol today - not her usual amount but still plenty but for the last 4 days she hasn't wanted ANY dinner at all and has cut back on her bedtime milk.
Could it be that she's just teething and/or suffering a bit of a cold which we all have? Am trying to remain calm but should I be more worried?

Onetoomanycornettos Sun 28-Nov-10 20:47:23

I wouldn't be excessively worried by a child skipping a meal and having less milk at bedtime, she's still eaten quite a bit, and is probably going down with a cold or teething. My HV told me that parents often think children are going to continue to guzzle away like in their first year as well, and it can be a shock when your toddler goes all picky and eats very little. In general, children know what they need so if she's off her food, let her be off it and make sure she's hydrated with water/juice whatever as that's more important than having three meals a day if she's coming down with something. Hope she sorts soon.

dikkertjedap Sun 28-Nov-10 20:50:50

Agree with Otmc, I would just keep an eye that she drinks enough especially if she has a cold (i.e. also wees enough). Would also check her temperature. If she is teething she might like a hard frozen plain bagle, numbs the pain a bit and she can bite little bits of bread off and eat it. Good luck.

BikeRunSki Sun 28-Nov-10 20:55:01

My DS (26 months) has always been a very light eater, with occassional bursts of eating everything in sight. I was concerned enough to talk to my HV who asked me to keep a food diary for 3 weeks. When she came over to look at it, she said he was normal, fine etc. If your DD is not hungry, then don't push it. IF she is replacing meals with lots of milk (more than 1 pint a day), then my HV would advise that I spoke to her.

sugargirl1 Mon 29-Nov-10 09:05:05

Thanks everyone - trying to keep everything in perspective. I was expecting her to cut back after her 1st birthday but am surprised by how worrying it can be. She seems happy in herself tho and is drinking lots of water so I think it's just the cold. Good idea about the frozen bagel - i will defo try that.

ohsleepyone Mon 29-Nov-10 22:16:04

If it makes any difference i have a 13 month old too, and he also has gone off his food and drinking water during the day which no matter how often i offer he never usually drinks during the day, He's just had his last set of jabs last week so i'm thinking it might be down to that, or the big back tooth i noticed coming through when i put him to bed this evening, either way calpol is my new best friend!!

onceamai Tue 30-Nov-10 04:59:32

hello ladies - about teething - I didn't realise how painful it could be until ds (who is big and tough and refused to cry in front of teachers when he broke his ankle) sat in the corner of the sofa sobbing when he cut his first two permanent (2nd tooth) molars at the age of about 8. It really hit home how tough it must have been for the dc when they were babies and I don't think I realised or was sympathetic enough.

ChippingIn Tue 30-Nov-10 05:26:18

Onceamai - I had really bad wisdom teeth! I have complete and utter sympathy for teething babies!! grin

It is utterly miserable and you just want to bite down on something and when you do - ahhhh the relief

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: