Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

tips on how to be less grumpy

(3 Posts)
beags1971 Wed 24-Nov-10 17:02:43

Hi All

I have a 2 year old daughter. She's a really lovely little girl and really well-behaved most of the time. But on those occasions where she acts like a typical toddler (refusing to put clothes on, throwing things about etc) i find that i go from happy mum to super grump in about 5 seconds. I can really fly off the handle and find i have to go into another room sometimes and scream because i get so wound up. I also shout at her sometimes over stuff that - on calm reflection post-event - doesn't really warrant it. I do apologise to her on those occasions and have to say she doesn't seem at all affected by these incidents. Is this normal behaviour or do i need to go and talk with someone? Am expecting number 2 in the spring and would like to be a calmer parent for both little ones.

Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks

raspberrysanmurraspberrys Wed 24-Nov-10 17:35:10

hi beags, first of all i think its a very positive thing that you have noticed your reaction can sometimes be over the top,an that you want to be able to be calmer. it shows your trying really hard to be the best u can!of course its normal to sometimes become irritated an moody when youve got a toddeler making you feel loopy,but if your noticing that your reactions can be alittle over the top and your shouting,then maybe it would benefit you and you dd if you spoke to someone about it,just to get some advice on coping strategies and positive pareting tips. good luck

onceamai Wed 24-Nov-10 20:03:13

Sounds a bit like me when they were small. I think it's pretty normal, esp if she doesn't seem upset by it. Probably preparing her for screamy teachers IMO. As long as she knows that you love her unconditionally and that you would never raise a hand to her I think it's probably fine.

Mine are 11 and 15 now and have turned out OK.

I once tried to turn over a new leaf and stop shouting and speak very rationally and quietly. After a few days ds, who must have been about 6, said "mummy, why are you being so scary" wink.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: