Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

DH putting tights on DD

(8 Posts)
readinginbed Sat 20-Nov-10 20:00:43

To amuse myself when DH was struggling to put tights on our DD, I pretended I was imparting sage advice from generations of mothers re-putting on tights and said: "Always put the toes in first", and DH earnestly took in this helpful hint . This was weeks ago and I still regularly remind him when he is struggling with our recalcitrant DD and her tights, and he still seriously tries to apply the advice!
Am I alone in taking my ego-boosts from DH's version of parenting the DC? Maybe I just need to develop another dimension to my life...

strawberrie Sat 20-Nov-10 20:26:05

One surefire way to irritate the life out of my H when DD was teeny was to dress her in tights, with a dress that buttons up the back. Much huffing and puffing and a degree of swearing was virtually guaranteed!

SkyBluePearl Sat 20-Nov-10 21:53:02

I just love seeing big blokes struggling to push buggies forwards on sandy beaches - so much energy but little forward motion. Adore imparting advice that they need to pull the buggy along backwards to get anywhere fast.

otchayaniye Sun 21-Nov-10 09:07:24

I hate this sneering at 'incapable men'.

My husband is a SAHD (well, keeps his hand in his career by working two nights) and I work three days. He does this out of choice. He does a darned better job than some of the mothers I see at the playgroup.

Oh, and he wouldn't dream of using a buggy on sand or otherwise. He hates them.

The only think he can't do is breastfeed.

Goblinchild Sun 21-Nov-10 09:12:55

It does seem like a bit of an outdated flashback, the sort of power trip my mother used to make sure my father wasn't effective on her territory.
I dislike the sneering as well, but then I have a son who may one day be a father.
I'll just have to help the poor dear choose a decent partner, or become the MIL from hell.

littleducks Sun 21-Nov-10 09:17:24

DD had a really pretty dress from GAP, that has teeny tiny buttons on the front, with cotton not elasticated in any way tabs that go around them. I used to find them a bit trickt to fasten but it was worth it as dress was so nice.

DHs fingers are nearly twice the size of mine and he used to hate that dress.

I taught dd how to put tights on instead of dh, he just didnt get the concept...or the point.

mnistooaddictive Sun 21-Nov-10 09:17:47

I am in the middle. DH is a wonderful father and better than me at many things but tights! The firstvtime he had to put them on he had no idea and just pulled from the top, I had to give clear instructions. He had never worn tights though so it really was a first.

readinginbed Sun 21-Nov-10 21:53:42

Otchayaniye, that is a fair point, I stand corrected. blush

I'm aware, as Goblinchild pointed out sagely, that it is a power trip on my part, and do feel ashamed but I ain't got much else to be powerful about...am SAHM and feel undervalued by society which equates value with high earnings. So I laugh at DH. Shoot me.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: