Talk

Advanced search

Anyone have experience of Anne Dobson helping with a tongue tie

(23 Posts)
Tadpoley Sat 20-Nov-10 19:17:23

Hi

I have a 1 week old baby with tongue tie. He is being referred to get this snipped, however the waiting list is really long and it could take up to a month. Getting a bit desparate from constant feeds and soreness, and found a lady Anne Dobson who is a qualified lactation consultant and will do the procedure at home. Made a bit nervous by the fact I just found her on the internet, would really appreciate any comments from someone who has been helped by her in the past or knows someone who has been.

Thanks!

thisisyesterday Sat 20-Nov-10 19:23:36

whereabouts are you?
it's shocking that they may make you wait a month. it's such a small and quick procedure!

there is a list here of places that can divide tongue ties.
Some of them require a referral from a GP/MW but some of them are happy to see you on a self-referral so it may be worth ringing any local ones to see if they can fit you in at all

you have my sympathies as I have had 2 babies with TT and know how awful it is feeding htem

thisisyesterday Sat 20-Nov-10 19:25:06

sorry, just another quick one... have had a look on ann dobson's website and she seems like she has plenty of experience

i also note she trained at Southampton which I have heard come up time and again on threads about tongue ties with regard to how good they are.

angel1976 Sat 20-Nov-10 19:43:19

Have you rung around all the local NHS hospitals? Both my DSs were tongue-tied and when DS1 was diagnosed, I couldn't get an appointment with the nearest hospital that dealt with tongue tie and I literally sat down one afternoon and rang every hospital in London to enquire about tongue tie clinics. Usually, they understand the urgency of your call and will try and fit you in if there is a clinic that deals with it at the hospital. Good luck whatever you decide to do. It is a very simple procedure, can be horrible to watch and quite a bit of blood (but that stops very quickly!). But honestly, once you have had it done, you will wonder that the fuss about the procedure is! As far as I am aware, the immediate concern is blood loss (if your baby for some reason, doesn't stop bleeding) and the secondary concern is that the TT hasn't been cut enough.

Tadpoley Sun 21-Nov-10 08:51:18

Thanks for the replies and the support, really appreciate it. Good to hear how it works. Will definitely try the ringing around, using the list from thisisyesterday. Will also keep considering Anne, again have read really good things about Southampton.

triplechoc Sun 21-Nov-10 09:04:56

I had my son's TT snipped privately, cost £150.

Rang on the Monday and was offered an appointment on either the Thurs or 1.5 weeks later (due to consultant's holiday). That was in Manchester, can let you know the consultant's name if you're anywhere nearby.

triplechoc Sun 21-Nov-10 09:05:56

Forgot to say, I needed a letter from GP but as I'd already been to see him b y this point it was just a case of ringing and telling the receptionist what we needed and they did it and faxed it through.

treehuggermother Sun 21-Nov-10 09:15:17

Ann divided my son's tongue tie 3 weeks ago, £160 for a home visit with 3 days from first contact to visit. If you are in the London/SE area I would highly recommend her.

if you would like any further info please feel free to contact me.

scgd Sun 21-Nov-10 20:23:17

My ds has his TT sorted and dealt with extremely quickly at Kings, as others have posted, where do you live? I got a referal from an experienced in TT midwife on a thurs, and my ds was seen and had the procedure done the next tuesday, just 5 days later. Can give you details of midwife for referal if you are local to SE London

perfectstorm Mon 22-Nov-10 01:40:35

I'd get a private referral to a hospital, unless this woman was trained under Mervyn Griffiths at Southampton, and his secretary confirms it. A private lactation consultant failed to divide my son's very severe tie and then failed to admit it while taking my money for further training ("keep going, you're almost there" he was chewing the milk out as he was wholly unable to latch) and it was eventually Mervyn Griffiths who successfully cut. And he was cheaper, too, even before he sent the cheque back because my local health authority okayed his bill to them.

Mondaybaby Mon 22-Nov-10 08:19:51

Hello, my dd had her TT snipped at Mr Patel's clinic at Kings College Hospital. I was offered an appointment within a few days of being referred. The clinic was efficient, the staff professional and very sympathetic. Mr Patel talks to all the parents as a group and then sees you individually to assess your baby's TT and snip it if you decide to do it then. It transformed mt dd's ability to latch and feed and I am so grateful to the clinic and to the lactation consultant who referred us.

Tadpoley Mon 22-Nov-10 15:47:25

Thanks to all again for the replies. Treehuggermother, did Anne have anything that confirmed that she had trained under Dr Mervyn to do tongue ties? Tried his secretary but their records don't go back far enough.

goldmum Mon 22-Nov-10 19:15:40

I had Anne Dobson come to my home to snip my DS2's tongue tie. She was very efficient and professional. She stayed afterwards to help get DS2 latched onto the breast properly as well. I would thoroughly recommend her. She also was able to come the next day which was such a relief as I was about to give up BF'ing as the tongue tie hadn't been diagnosed until 3 months. Due to holiday commitments of staff I couldn't get a hospital appointment for 3 weeks.

treehuggermother Tue 23-Nov-10 20:00:17

TBH I didn't think to check - she was recommended by my very experienced midwife who got her name from the very experienced lactation consultant who is poised to set up a tt clinic here in Kent (Jane) but can't because the trust won't approve it (or some such bureaucracy).

FWIW DS1 had a tt too (6 years ago), we travelled to MG's clinic in Southampton - Ann and I chatted about his clinic and many other related things, she was even happy for me to film the procedure - I would honestly have no worries or doubts about her experience.

As an aside, she also assessed him and recommended cranial osteopathy, and after 2 sessions of this feeding was pain free (was dramatically reduced after division but still pretty uncomfortable).

parentsnet Sat 02-Mar-13 15:25:16

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

PollyIndia Sat 02-Mar-13 16:05:43

I have a friend who went the same clinic as parentsnet and said much the same. They left feeling really ripped off. I also went to the osteopaths who work with her who were expensive and failed to understand how problematic my son's tongue tie was to his breastfeeding. The woman said he just wasn't a good sucker but when I got it cut, he piled on weight, climbed up to 85th centile and can now empty the boob in less than 5 mins.

I am in Walthamstow and if you are near here can recommend someone much better who will come to your house and will only charge £80 to cover her insurance costs. She came out to me twice in the evenings after work and didn't charge. She is passionate about breastfeeding.

Let me know if you want her details.

PollyIndia Sat 02-Mar-13 16:07:16

I should add I did also go to the OCC after I had the tie cut (I went to the new river people before) and both those sessions seemed to work really well, plus I only paid £20 a session. You pay what you can afford and they have a weekly clinic in hoxton

hajni1975 Sun 29-Jun-14 22:05:04

I live in walthamstow, could you recomend someone good and not too expencive who is doing tongue tie division in the area?

vickstar76 Sat 12-Jul-14 12:54:39

www.tongue-tie.org.uk/find-a-tongue-tie-divider.html

DaniAlvez Sat 12-Jul-14 12:59:29

My niece's TT was snipped by Ann Dobson. DH and Sil very happy with her. My DD had hers done in Southampton with a referral from my GP. 2 weeks from GP visit to appointment. It was a severe posterior tie so I was glad I went to Southampton.

DaniAlvez Sat 12-Jul-14 12:59:53

Should have been DB not DH!!

FreeButtonBee Sat 12-Jul-14 13:06:11

Ann snipped by twins' TT at home on day 8. I called her when in hospital as I was not happy with the delay in dealing with their TT. With twins, I didn't have the time or energy to wait any longer.

She was lovely but extremely busy so do call and leave a voicemail/text if you can't get through to her first time.

AndyJohnsonCreek Sun 19-Feb-17 19:13:11

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now