Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

anyone who hjas relactated please i need some honest advice!

(5 Posts)
alfiesmummy23 Fri 19-Nov-10 21:56:53

Hi all,
I need some real advice on relactation. I have a seven week old baby who i really wanted to breastfeed but he wouldn't latch on so had to bottle feed, my midwife said he was 'crap' at it lol! i have never stopped wanting to breastfeed and feel guilty with every bottle i give him and i know i shouldn't. I seriously want to relactate and need some advice from people who have managed to do it. Today i tried him at the breast out of curiosity and he latched on all by himself twice! although he got mad when he realised there was no fast flowing milk like his bottles! but i feel like i want to try even more now i know he can latch on! any help or advice gladly taken xxxx

thisisyesterday Fri 19-Nov-10 22:02:10

ok well it's a long and arduous journey but it can be done!

you need a decent pump. ring your local NCT, they hire them out. a good hospital grade double one will be great if you can get hold of one

you will want to pump around 10 times a day. including a night one (or 2!)

but also latch baby on as often as possible. not only will this keep him used to latching on, but it will stimulate the breasts even if he doesn't get anything much out.

you might also want to look into getting a supplemental nursing system (SNS) which is basically a tube that you tape to the breast which is connected to a bottle. that way you get baby latched on, he suckles at the breast but the milk will be coming through the tube.

there is some great info on the www.kellymom.com/bf/adopt/index.htmlkellymom page there

thisisyesterday Fri 19-Nov-10 22:05:48

oh and good luck! am sure you can do it

assuming the info on your profile is up to date then
this is your nearest LLL group, might be worth ringing them for a chat even if they're a bit far for a visit!

also have a look and see if you have any more local breastfeeding counsellors who can advise?

alfiesmummy23 Fri 19-Nov-10 22:21:37

thankyou for your help thisisyesterday xx

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Fri 19-Nov-10 23:37:04

Good Luck Alfiesmummy!

There are sometimes threads abut this on the breast and bottle feeding forum If you search youu may find some inspiration smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: