Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook

Find out more

Breastfeeding and Antibiotics - Advice needed!

(5 Posts)
ScaredNewMum Fri 19-Nov-10 20:17:43

Hi there,

I need some advice. My daughter is almost three months old now and I've been breastfeeding and supplementing a little with formula. My GP put me on Espiride to help with my milk supply.

But this week I got a middle ear infection that is quite severe and I was given Augmentin antibiotics and myprodol. She told me that the Augmentin can affect my daughter through my breastmilk but that I need to take the meds. She suggested pumping out my milk, but I'm scared that will cause my milk supply to decrease even more. Any advice how to proceed?

From what I've heard from others, it sounds like its the end of the world if I decide to go onto formula feeding only from now on, and I will end up feeling like a failure. My husband already suggested I leave the meds as he also thinks breastfeeding for as long as possible is the best way to go. Many forums I go onto make it sound like formula feeding only will end up causing my baby a lot of problems. I really do want to keep on breastfeeding, but I'm scared the medicine will have an adverse effect on her.

Please help!

MoreTrampThanVamp Fri 19-Nov-10 20:22:27

Dr Hale says its fine to take when breastfeeding and he should know.

Chaotica Fri 19-Nov-10 20:25:33

There's a possibility your DD will get thrush. It's worth keeping an eye out for if she becomes fussy feeding.

sandberry Fri 19-Nov-10 22:14:53

You can also ring the Breastfeeding Network drugs line on 0844 412 4665 for advice on any medication. Might be worth giving the number to the GP too, then he can check before prescribing for any other breastfeeding mothers.

MoreTrampThanVamp Fri 19-Nov-10 22:21:31

Really any HCP should check the British National Formulary before prescribing for basic safety info, then follow it up with the BfN or Hale's website for further detail.

I don't know why so many are seemingly incapable of checking this sort of basic information, its hardly rocket science hmm

I had a nurse tell me only this week that I shouldn't be taking nurofen for a shoulder injury, as 'you can't be too careful if you are still breastfeeding' [roll eyes]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now