Talk

Advanced search

anyone elses baby opposed to cuddles?

(9 Posts)
sugarbea Fri 19-Nov-10 13:05:14

DD 11 months, very happy and playful but will not cuddle....ever......even when she's tired. DS now 5 was a very cuddley baby..He would sit on my lap or put his arms up for a cuddle. DD how ever would much rather run and play. I know it's very selfish but sometimes I just want to give her a squeeze but she's not interested there are far more other things to do.
DD was born with a rare health condition and has had 10 opperations in 11 months..some day cases some as an inpatient. She was taken straight into neo natal at birth so I never really got to hold her straight away and she's had to go away from me so many times to go under anasthetic I wander if she's just used to it. She knows i'm mum and is always happy to see me or play with me.
I wander if all the hospital visits etc have made her a bit too tough.. She is the happiest baby i have ever known and always smilling so she is obviously not unhappy.
Will she start cuddling me later on..To make it worse ds is nearly 6 and getting a bit to embarrased for cuddles now..I will have to buy myself a teddy.

inthesticks Fri 19-Nov-10 17:50:37

Perhaps it's just her personality?
I had one cuddly baby and one not.
DS1 was not cuddly and I did not realise the difference until DS2 came along and for the first time I found how affectionate a baby could be.
They change though, and now at 14 DS1 reaches down from his 6'1" to hug me all the time, whereas Ds2 is going through a distinctly cooler phase.

skippingturtle Fri 19-Nov-10 20:02:56

Mine is. sad She loves to lie on the sofa next to me while I talk to her, but won't be cuddled. She was taken to SCBU immediately she was born, not sure if that's a factor.

InmaculadaConcepcion Fri 19-Nov-10 21:25:02

My DD 9.5mo isn't very cuddly either. It's like trying to hug a mini bucking bronco! Only if she's REALLY knackered and being resettled in the early part of the night will she let me cuddle her and even then it can be a battle!

I'm sure it isn't personal! She likes hanging out with us, even if she doesn't want to be enfolded...

PinkyBurgerhead Fri 19-Nov-10 21:27:10

Also have a very un-cuddly DD. Didn't have any worries with SCBU or anything like that - it's simply her personality.

DS much more cuddly. Anecdotally I have been told a few times that baby girls are more independent.

LadyOfTheFlowers Fri 19-Nov-10 21:30:48

I have 4 kids, though the oldest is only 5 so don't have as much age span, but as babies, only 2 of them were cuddly.

DD is 7m and my first and last DD and I so wish she would fall asleep on my chest/in my arms, but she just wants to be left alone when it comes to sleep.

MakemineaGandT Fri 19-Nov-10 21:31:05

My DS1 wasn't at all cuddly - I think it was just his independent personality. He was hopitalised with a nasty bug at 9 months old and spent 24 hours wanting to be cuddled - it was absolutely lovely (apart from the worry of the illness!) but once he was better he went back to not being interested in cuddles. Once he was about 3 he began to love cuddles (by then I had DS2 who has always been a very cuddly child) - perhaps it was seeing me with DS2 that did it?

thisisyesterday Fri 19-Nov-10 21:31:40

my first was like that. from the moment he could pull himself away from me he did.
he NEVER let anyone cuddle him ever. even if he hurt himself i couldn't cuddle him

he has started giving dcuddles in the lasyt year or so tho, but only to me grin he is 5.5 years old now!!!

SkyBluePearl Sat 20-Nov-10 07:17:21

My little one was not very cuddly for months but she got over it when i started being extra silly with her. I could then sneak cuddles in the form of 'mummy monster' or 'stealing squeaky cuddles'. She is ever so cuddly now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now