Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

washable wipes, how do I make my own

(14 Posts)
OnlyWantsOne Tue 16-Nov-10 13:35:54

Have been given trial kit of washable nappies to use with DC2 turns up

Have decided I quite like one sort of nappy so all good there but would love to use washable wipes as I hate acid baby wipes! They made my DD's skin so sore as a baby, so.... tell me all

everythingiseverything Tue 16-Nov-10 13:37:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FerminaUrbinoDaza Tue 16-Nov-10 13:38:50

Buy some cheap flannels, wet a load each morning and keep in a plastic tub. Done.

You can buy all sorts of solutions for washable wipes but TBH they really aren't necessary.

OnlyWantsOne Tue 16-Nov-10 13:51:19

would fleece or fannels be better? or some of both, flannels must be good for getting sticky poo off little bums!!

Cies Tue 16-Nov-10 13:55:09

I use flannels. I bought one set of cheeky wipes, which are nice, but nothing you can't do yourself. Since then I have bought some cheap flannels, cut them in half, and use like that. If you're good with a sewing machine you could hem them, but I haven't bothered.

I make up a cammomile tea and olive oil solution, because I like the way the oil soothes his bottom. I put it in a tub and add the wipes.

OnlyWantsOne Tue 16-Nov-10 14:24:57

how many wipes would I need then do you think?

I have a sewing machine so could easily buy some flannel / muslin / bamboo / fleece stuff and edge it all

then I need a place to keep clean ones, and a place to stick manky ones til they go in wash?

everythingiseverything Tue 16-Nov-10 14:54:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BornToFolk Tue 16-Nov-10 14:58:36

Tesco do white facecloths for 20p each. Keep a bowl of water on the changing table, dunk wipe in water, use a dry one to dry off, put both in nappy bucket.

eggybrokenoff Tue 16-Nov-10 15:11:45

i cut up an old dressing gown - fleece on one side, toweling on the other - perfect!! I have two tupperware tubs (with clicky lids)- a small one for change bag and a bigger one for change table. Just use water with a teeny bit of wash in. Used ones go in wet bag when out and about (along with used nappy) and nappy bucket at home. Has saved a small fortune!!

BlueEyeshadow Tue 16-Nov-10 22:16:03

Disposable baby wipes wash alarmingly surprisingly well. I use them out and about and put them in the machine with the nappies, then add them to the pile of wipes.

lsj198 Tue 16-Nov-10 23:36:46

Or you can buy a bundle of 40 - fleece one side and flannel the other for £22 from nappy lady website if that's easier. Saves a fortune on wet wipes. Tuppaware and a tub of water on change table works a treat. Good luck

BlueChampagne Wed 17-Nov-10 13:21:24

Second BlueEyeshadow

OnlyWantsOne Wed 17-Nov-10 19:17:42

today I bought some flannel and some lovely lemon fleece, have washed both and tonight will cut and sew/edge them with my machine and make my own... we shall see how they turn out!!

WillbeanChariot Wed 17-Nov-10 19:23:06

You can buy mini muslins in packs of 50 from Mothercare. I use them with waterand wash them woth the nappies.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: