Talk

Advanced search

Tips for squeezing more 'quality time' with ds2 into the day

(9 Posts)
ZombiePlanB Sun 14-Nov-10 21:10:32

Does anyone have any good ideas on how to interact more with ds2 when I am really busy?

With ds1 I sat about and just played with him really. But now I have more washing, housework, school runs etc to do. I have a rear facing buggy so I am chat to ds2 on the way to and from school, park etc.

It makes me feel awful that ds2 just sees me rushing about or sorting out ds1.

Any good ways to max the time ds2 gets? I have a cleaner and try not to do too much housework etc but it's a small flat and is hideous if not tidyish.

BollocksToThis Sun 14-Nov-10 21:17:33

How old is he?

Breakfast together is good because you all have to eat. Can he help - you know what I mean! - with housework? I get DS doing Duplo or jigsaws while I feed DD or sort and fold laundry. Set up the kitchen table for painting or playdough while you cook. And maybe once a week you could have a special outing/time just for you both.

Sazisi Sun 14-Nov-10 22:50:29

I'm also wondering how old he is?

You can have a lovely time before putting him down for naps if he still has them; first a nice story on your lap, then a long cuddle while you sing (the baby I mind loves this).
Nappy changes are a good opportunity for chatting, tickling, blowing raspberries.
You can build brick towers for him to knock down while you're on the phone.
You could take him to the park or toddler group on the way back from school run.

ZombiePlanB Mon 15-Nov-10 07:06:16

Thank you, ds2 is five months. Ds1 is at preschool. He very little but getting more alert and interactive every day.

I try to play with ds1 on the floor with ds2 next to us in his chair.

I like the idea of nappy changes being quality time, that's so true!

homeboys Mon 15-Nov-10 12:39:00

Message withdrawn

Dancergirl Mon 15-Nov-10 13:06:19

Agree with homeboys - your ds2 is still very little and doesn't need 'quality time'. He probably enjoys just being out and about with you, watching his big brother etc.

Second and subesquent children just get used to their parents running around after older siblings I'm afraid! My little one gets dragged along to school/ballet/brownies runs, it's just how it is!

Firawla Mon 15-Nov-10 13:08:08

take him out to baby group when your ds1 is @ pre school i find then you get to spend more quality time with them as @ home like you say there is a lot of housework, rushing round etc

winnybella Mon 15-Nov-10 13:11:26

5 months? He doesn't need much playing with, just being with you and observing the world.

Plonk him on the floor under baby gym or just on a blanket with some toys. Carry him in a sling while you do your chores. Talk to him. Dangle a rattle or whatever few times a day grin.

Seriously, he'll be fine.

ZombiePlanB Tue 16-Nov-10 14:08:18

thank you all, feel much better after your sensible words.
Will get out to baby group, as you are right, then I don't do the washing up / washing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now