Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Don't know what I'm doing wrong......

(5 Posts)
lizbeth1910 Sun 14-Nov-10 17:58:28

My 31 month old non-id twin girls wont let me do anything for them when Daddy (or Nanny...or anyone else!) is around. If I so much as even wipe their noses they scream at me' NO DADDY DO IT', melt into a heap sreaming and crying until my husband pacifies them. I can't do anything without a fight or a tantrum when others are around.

I take them to clubs every morning of the week and they are as good as gold out but we have battles every morning as Daddy has to do breakfast, oversee dressing, put them in pushchair. I feel competeley useless.

I've spoken to others who tell me it's because the girls are with me all day that they behave like this when someone else is around.
People say it's because they are so comfortable with me and love me so much that they behave like this.
Someone said it was a power thing and they are winning.

I don't know what to believe but know that it is driving us all crazy and I really need to know if anyone else has experienced this and if so what did you do?

I have never seen a child reject it's mother the way my 2 do to me.
It's heartbreaking & stressful for me and very upsetting for my husband who cannot understand any more than I can.
Thanks.

5DollarShake Sun 14-Nov-10 18:31:38

I don't have experience if this (yet!) but it is very normal. Our children go through phases of lashing out at those they feel safest and the most secure with. And it is just a phase - they won't be like this forever!

hettie Sun 14-Nov-10 20:17:12

ds was like this- twas rubbish. He is much less like this now.....and I know other people who've had the same thing so it's not just you

BikeRunSki Sun 14-Nov-10 20:20:06

DS (2.2) is similar. Good as gold for Granny or Daddy, and pretty good for me most of the time. If Daddy and/or Granny and I are in the same room, then DS doesn't want anything to do with me. Rubbish isn't it?

Tw1nkle Mon 15-Nov-10 12:49:10

Hi,
Yes, sounds pretty normal to me!
My DS is the same with my DH, but if it's just him there, we stick together, and whoever starts whatever it is (feeding/hair/bath etc) carries it out - regardless of who she wants to do it!!
That tends to keep it in control.
When it's Nanny or Grandma though, I tend to let them do it - they don't see her that often, and are more than happy to do it - it gives me a break too, and DD loves it.

Please don't be upset or stressed about it, it's only a 'phase' i'm sure.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: