Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

When did you give up with the cotton wool & water?

(34 Posts)
OhCrapingHell Sun 14-Nov-10 17:17:29

DD2 is 8 weeks & I am still using water & cotton wool but getting a bit fed up now, especially when out.

When did you give up being precious and move on to wipes?

Panzee Sun 14-Nov-10 17:18:01

I sneaked a packet into the hospital. So fairly early on!

Indith Sun 14-Nov-10 17:18:29

After about 2 minutes grin

I tend to use washable wipes though.

mousymouse Sun 14-Nov-10 17:19:47

wipes only for going out. cotton pads and water/baby lotion still at 11m. reusable wipes at nursery.

SoupDragon Sun 14-Nov-10 17:20:47

Good lord! You're still on cotton wool and water at 8 weeks??!

I think i gave up whilst still trying to scrape off meconium with Ss2 and DD. Not so DS1, obviously.

I only used water if there was spree nappy rash.

JiggeryPoverty Sun 14-Nov-10 17:21:44

The moment the baby's bum was on the changing table at home.

Tee2072 Sun 14-Nov-10 17:23:33

After he came home at day 9 from SCBU. Could.not.be.arsed.

tjandpootle Sun 14-Nov-10 17:24:13

Used Sensitive wipes from day one for DD2. Just one example of how you relax the rules for DC2. wink

thisisyesterday Sun 14-Nov-10 17:24:24

i never used them!

i use washable wipes and water, which i've used from day one on all 3 babies

LadyViper Sun 14-Nov-10 17:26:05

DH used cotton wool and water until DS was 4 months! He thought he'd get told off if he used wipes, lol!

I don't think water is a pain when out, I just took a bottle with me and a little bowl.

I used wipes from 2/3 months.

I got a free sample of "water wipes" the other day, they don't have any chemicals but I bet they are expensive.

OhCrapingHell Sun 14-Nov-10 17:26:12

I think I did it for about 3 months with DD1 <pfb alert>

Ok, I don't feel so bad about having bought a pack of wipes today and I will crack them open.

OhCrapingHell Sun 14-Nov-10 17:29:34

Well, for example today we were in Waterstones, DD needed changing, the disabled/baby change was a radar key and the queue at costa was about 20 mins so I lay her down in the hallway on the way to the loo (not in the actual shop, there was a corridor to the loo). Didn't have any water on me, and I am ashamed to say I licked the cotton pad just to wet her a little bit so she wouldn't get sore <hangs head in shame>

DramaInPyjamas Sun 14-Nov-10 17:32:35

The minute we got home from hospital.

InkyStamp Sun 14-Nov-10 17:35:33

Never ever used cotton wool. In fact, I dont think I know anyone who did! Even in hospital!

TheUnmentioned Sun 14-Nov-10 17:40:50

Ds - never used them.

Dd (now 7 weeks) - had more sensitive skin so used cotton wool and water for 3 weeks but now wipes

DO NOT use Johnsons though if your kids have skin like mine do, even ds who is now 3 gets a red face if I use one to wipe him.

BikeRunSki Sun 14-Nov-10 17:45:02

6 months, after weaning and poo becoming "proper poo". Until then, I used to take a little bottle of water and bag of cotton wool out in changing bag.

Unashamed PFB.

moajab Sun 14-Nov-10 18:20:56

With DS1 we used wipes as soon as we got out of hospital.

DS2 and 3 both used wipes straight away!

With DS1 I found I was using an entire packet of cotton wool to clean up all that sticky meconium!

MrsVincentPrice Sun 14-Nov-10 18:21:26

I used cotton wool and water at home for ever (ie until potty training at 2 year+).
It didn't strike me as being PFB because a) did it for both DC b) used wipes when out and about from day 1 c) simply never found it any hassle, routine was "get nappy, fill bowl with water, open up nappy bag for debris" and I never felt that that was inconvenient so I didn't have any incentive to change.

cece Sun 14-Nov-10 18:23:21

Do you mean to wipe their bottom? Never heard of using just cotton wool and water. I used wipes from birth for all 3 of mine.

PipIsOutNow Sun 14-Nov-10 18:23:38

yep as soon as i got home from hospital...no way in a million years i was cleaning up a poo explosion up to his neck with fiddly bits of cotton wool!! he's been fine on wet wipes, never had so much as a sore bum...BUT some babies skin is more sensitive so i do understand why people do it...

Meglet Sun 14-Nov-10 18:26:44

DS - stopped after a week

DD - stopped once I was home after having a cs, about 4 days.

The water in our area is so hard it is more likely to irritate their skin than a non-scented soft wipe.

pirateparty Sun 14-Nov-10 18:27:18

Still do for 23 month old. Find it no hassle at all. CM uses wipes and we do too when out. He does have quite sensitive skin though so when we've been away etc you can tell when he's had more than usual wipes. Used wipes for meconium though!

togarama Sun 14-Nov-10 21:23:50

Still do. We've always had both cotton wool and non-perfumed wipes at hand and also sometimes dunk DD's bum in the sink when things are really bad. I use whatever seems easier (or better suited to the size and spread of poo...)

I'd much rather use the cotton wool than fragranced wipes. The combined stink of baby bum and fragrance is yucky. Who on earth thought it would be a good idea to perfume a baby's arse?

HollyBollyBooBoo Sun 14-Nov-10 22:39:41

About 3 weeks and then only when at home. Think there are some Huggies wipes that claim to be as gentle as water anyway.

Know all advice differs but when I spoke to friends in the US they laughed at the fact that a) I used cotton wool and water (they all use wipes from birth), b) I use a steriliser (they put kit in dishwasher and c) I wouldn't use a cot bumper for fear of suffocation (they have them that goes all the way around cot and about 1ft high)!

BeenBeta Sun 14-Nov-10 22:58:20

Disposable nappies and wipes from birth.

No babies were harmed in our clueless parenting experiments.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: