Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Computer Addiction have a rant!

(4 Posts)
Scruffyhound Mon 08-Nov-10 13:55:59

After reading a few threads about usless husbands/partners not being bothered to look after the kids or partners because they HAVE to be on the computer, XBOX, PS or whatever. They have been to work all day they need some down time all night. Do you need some down time? After all you have only been running the house looking after the kids and maybe working part/full time. Do you need down time? Na you dont! Or maybe its more serious and have caused break ups? I have got divorced through this addiction.

Scruffyhound Mon 08-Nov-10 13:59:18

Wikipedia:
Computer addiction, a loosely used term with Internet Addiction, or Video game addiction, is the excessive or compulsive use of computers that interferes with daily life. This disorder may affect the following: social interaction, mood, personality, work ethic, relationships, thought process. It may also cause social disorders or possibly sleep deprivation. It is important to note that as of now, psychologists are not sure how to label this disorder. Many refer to it as Internet Addiction Disorder; however, computer addiction originated long before internet use is as common as it is today. In addition, the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders has yet to recognize this exact disorder, and are more likely to include a more specific term of addiction, such as Internet Addiction, or Video game addiction.

Some people develop bad habits in their computer use that cause them significant problems in their lives. The types of behavior and negative consequences are similar to those of known addictive disorders; therefore, the term Computer or Internet Addiction has come into use. While anyone who uses a computer could be vulnerable, those people who are lonely, shy, easily bored, or suffering from another addiction or impulse control disorder as especially vulnerable to computer abuse.

Computer abuse can result from people using it repeatedly as their main stress reliever, instead of having a variety of ways to cope with negative events and feelings. Other misuses can include procrastination from undesirable responsibilities, distraction from being upset.

togarama Mon 08-Nov-10 17:35:38

Yes, it's extremely annoying (to say the least) to live with someone who can't be unplugged from electronic gaming equipment.

I stopped taking DH on holiday years ago because I can't stand being with someone whose main pre-occupation in a foreign country is keeping the laptop charged up so that he can play games. I would rather travel with a toddler who actually enjoys real life.

The ironic thing is that my DH and many others say that they play X-box, Playstation etc.. to relieve stress when it's actually a stressful activity. There's evidence which indicate that electronic gameplaying pumps up the adrenaline and raises anxiety rather than having the opposite effect. (i.e. It just puts your mind into "active" mode when you need to deactivate and mentally switch off to some extent in order to relax.) I notice DH twitching after an hour or so on the X-box.

Scruffyhound Mon 08-Nov-10 21:05:31

Im sorry to hear about your husband. Its something I belive is a big problem and no one seems to take serious. Its that attitude of well its just to escape and Im not on it half as much as some of thses other guys. Well maybe these other guys are sad and dont know how to hold a conversation and sadly they turn into one them selves! I like a game every now and then but know when to cut off. Things need doing I need to see people not be on a game all the time. I really do feel sorry for you and when your on holiday! It should be banned. You should enjoy your holiday how you gonna do that? Maybe go with friends or someone you have fun with and enjoy YOUR self! smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: