Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Introducing a dummy at 10 months

(10 Posts)
Fourleaf Mon 04-Oct-10 11:24:23

Is this a mad idea? DS will still only go to sleep on the breast or in the pram - wakes at night 3-4 times to feed - sleeps in his cot until about 2am, then with me. I read something on a thread about someone introducing a dummy to an older baby to wean them off the feed to sleep association. Anyone tried this? Would only use it at night and possibly for naps.

Am worried that a) he would start wanting it all the time and b) I would be putting in back in his mouth ten times a night! I just thought it could be a good transitional object for him (doesn't have an attachement cuddly/lovey or similar) as he is learning to sleep on his own/for longer stretches. TIA!

amethyst79 Mon 04-Oct-10 14:49:38

My eldest used to only go to sleep on the breast, and did so until she was one and a half!! lucky for me i was a SAHM so I had time for all the palaver..

But yes a dummy was my lifesaver, and NO I never got it off her until she was 3 and at nursery until telling her the birdies had taken it away!! But each to their own if it works for you, give it a shot!!!

Octaviapink Mon 04-Oct-10 17:17:10

Blimey, I wouldn't, if you've done without one this far! DD fed to sleep as well but I just started putting her down drowsy rather than asleep and then gradually increased the time between end-of-feed and putting-down.

Fourleaf Tue 05-Oct-10 09:53:44

Thanks for the replies. Good to know it can work but I am thinking it might be something I regret later... wink

Octavia, can I ask, how old was your DD when you did this? Did she cry when you put her down? I try to put DS down drowsy and he screams his head off sad I was thinking of trying pick up/put down but thought maybe he was a bit old for it?
Would love to hear a bit more about how you did it - TIA!

Octaviapink Tue 05-Oct-10 13:05:48

DD was about 6 months when I started, I think, and it didn't work every time, certainly. Mostly she didn't cry, per se, but there would sometimes be grumbling! I could always tell whether she was genuinely upset or just having a big fat say, though!

explodingbosoms Tue 05-Oct-10 13:26:26

You may not feel ready for this, and your lo may not be ready either, but do you think he needs the night feeds? For us I think this was the key (though it could be random coincidence!).

We weaned our 7mo dd off her night feed (she was only having one though) and a lot of things seemed to fall into place alongside it/as a result. She suddenly learned to settle herself (perhaps knowing milk would not be forthcoming!) and when she wakes at night now, will go back to sleep within minutes without help from us. She settles loads better at bedtime, and for naps and sometimes has long naps now- though is still largely a 40 minute girl! Now that she is sleeping properly at night I try not to let this stress me too much.

She also started eating even more solids in the day, and dropped her dream feed of her own accord.

As I've said on other threads, we only attempted night weaning when we were sure she was getting loads of solids in the day and not feeding properly at night.

Let me know if you need any more info. Of course by saying all of the above I have now damned myself to 100 nights of night-waking misery, no doubt!

explodingbosoms Tue 05-Oct-10 13:28:18

Sorry, my point was (!), I was thinking of introducing a dummy but tried night weaning first and it worked. If you are concerned about introducing another prop, it's something to think about.

Having said that, I know loads of people who find dummies a great help, and I have often wished we had used one in the early days and not missed out on all that sleep!

Blissbird Tue 05-Oct-10 16:12:00

Our son was given a dummy from day one and he loved it. It did not help with sleep as he was 18 months old before I got a full nights sleep. The problem was I could not let him cry and I wish I had been stronger.
My advise would be to try what ever works for you and if that's a dummy at this stage then go for it. There will soon be another stage to perplex you. Its very easy to take a dummy away from a child who can make a little sense of the world.
We took our son's away by telling him he was a big boy now and that he had to put them in the bin, which he did. We also put him in a big bed to re-enforce the big boy theme. It worked in three days.
The trouble we now have is him getting out of bed!!! There is always something.
Good Luck

Fourleaf Fri 08-Oct-10 13:52:28

Hi, thanks for the other replies - exploding and octavia - sadly I have tried these methods and DS has kicked up an unbearable fuss - he won't be settled by his Dad/ on his own as he is addicted to sucking! Blissbird- having to get DS out of bed sounds like heaven grin

The big news here is that I've introduced the dummy - just for naps so far - and it is working a treat! DS is going in his cot for naps, having good naps, for the first time in SO long

I am going to use it at bedtime tonight and am hoping it will help him to not rely on the boob so much... even if he is reliant on the dummy for a bit I feel it will be an OK in-between stage for us - at least his Dad/Granny can help!

I was never a fan of dummys before but I have been converted wink

I am now thinking of adding a music player/light show thing to get DS really cosy in his cot! grin

applejelly Thu 25-Nov-10 15:14:38

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I have exactly the same problem as the OP with my 5 month DS (not self settling, only getting to sleep on the breast or sucking my finger which takes aaaages!) & was wondering how you have got on with the dummy fourleaf? Any regrets? I'm about to crack and go dummy shopping but am worried that lots of people would be starting to wean off the dummy at this age confused

Any advice from others also welcome smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: