Talk

Advanced search

Do amber teething necklaces work? Or are they a waste of time?

(53 Posts)
Fiolondon Fri 10-Sep-10 19:30:09

Do amber teething necklaces work? Or are they a waste of time?

DS is now 19th months and has only his back 4 molars to come through. I thought we might have a break until he was at least 2 before the last ones came in, but I think they might be starting to agitate....

I am pregnant with DC2 and want to minimise the hassle that the next lot of teething might bring so are amber necklaces worth trying?

Doodleydoo Fri 10-Sep-10 19:35:12

Well, it worked for us, and it worked for a friend of mine (who introduced me to it) who is a dentist. I rarely if ever used any other teething products once it was on. I would say it might be mind over matter BUT how you do that with a bay I don't know!

I may have been lucky but it did work as I say and there was a change from before we had it to using it. HTH

lifeas3plus1 Fri 10-Sep-10 19:36:09

They really did work with my ds. Actually it still does.

For weeks he was in pain, dribbling, bright red cheeks, fretful etc so I bought one calpol/ibroprofen wasn't really working.

Within half hour to an hour of putting the necklace on him his cheeks had gone back to a normal colour, the dribbling stopped and een though he was still feeling a bit sorry for himself he was quite happy to play as normal for a while.

Will definitely be buying one for ds2 when the time comes!

TheSistersGrim Fri 10-Sep-10 19:38:57

I think they worked with my dd2 and I will be trying it on dd3 when she starts. It could be a coincidence though

Species8472 Fri 10-Sep-10 20:57:44

How exactly do they work?

PomPotty Fri 10-Sep-10 21:36:15

I sort of think they work too...
"Amber worn agaist the skin is a natural analgesic and has been used for centuries in Europe. Amber's anti-inflammatory and therapeutic properties are also recognized by allopathic medicine. In Austria, Switzerland and Germany, you will find amber sold in local pharmacies as doctors have long known about the healing properties of amber which include calmative, analgesic, antispasmodic, expectorant, and febrifuge (anti-fever) functions."
From this site here

eastendmummy Fri 10-Sep-10 21:41:13

Have just bought one for DS2 and he stopped chewing his hands within about 30 mins. Could be a coincidence, but I'm hoping not!

Fiolondon Sun 12-Sep-10 20:19:18

Sounds like I will be giving one of them a go sometime soon then! It's worth a try.
Thanks

CoteDAzur Sun 12-Sep-10 20:40:24

I can't see how this would work, and frankly can't imagine any responsible parent putting a necklace on a baby that is not only a strangulation hazard but a choking hazard, due to its small pieces.

If amber touching skin alleviated pain, it would be commercialized for migraine, period cramps, etc. Instead, it's only targeted at babies who can't say if it works or not. What does that tell you?

Concordia Sun 12-Sep-10 20:41:36

i don't think it worked for DS
and i worried about him swallowing it.

deemented Sun 12-Sep-10 20:45:11

Why would he swallow it? It surely wasn't long enough for him to reach to his mouth, was it?

I'm a big believer in Amber necklaces. All three of mine wear them, the eldest is six and the youngest is eight months and he's had his on since about 12 weeks or so. I do think they have made a difference, certainly.

CoteDAzur Sun 12-Sep-10 20:52:35

Why do you have a teething necklace on a six year old?

Necklaces break. Then their pieces can be choked on.

lifeas3plus1 Sun 12-Sep-10 20:54:12

The necklaces aren't long enough for the baby to put in mouth and the proper one's have a knot in between each individual stone so if it was to break only one stone would come off not the whole lot. Also they should have a magnetic clasp so if by any chance it is pulled it would just come off rather than strangle!

I never left my ds alone with it on anyway and it ALWAYS taken off before nap/bed times.

And to the other poster, I use Amber for myself too and yes I do find it works so no jut for babies.

deemented Sun 12-Sep-10 20:56:18

I find it useful for all manner of things, not just teething.

DS2 has had some health problems that since wearing the necklace have become more controlled.

CoteDAzur Sun 12-Sep-10 21:27:00

What "magnetic clasp"? All amber necklaces I've seen were in a string. When you pull on the necklace, it don't just come off in pieces.

If there are many magnets on those necklaces, we can now add the risks of constant electromagnetic exposure to choking and strangling.

I can explain to you how and why that is not good for baby brain. Can you explain to me how and why amber near teeth is good for teething pain?

lifeas3plus1 Sun 12-Sep-10 21:40:17

One magnetic clasp to put the necklace on, you know, instead of one f those fiddly clasps on adult necklaces

The necklace is string with knots in between each stone.

How was that not clear? confused

bruffin Sun 12-Sep-10 22:05:17

If only one bead came off a baby can still choke on out. Dangerous and there is no scientific basis to theclaims made for amber

seeker Sun 12-Sep-10 22:06:59

You do all know this is complete crap, don't you?

lifeas3plus1 Sun 12-Sep-10 22:33:45

I don't think it's crap. Amber works for me when I'm in pain with my stomach problems and ds is getting through teething a lot easier with the necklace on rather than off.

You can definitely tell the difference in him with the necklace on!

And it's not irresponsible parenting if you apply a bit of common sense. I mean, I see young babies wearing bibs all day which are tied around the neck. Why is there less of a risk with strangulation with a bib?

But as with all aspects of parenting, what suits some doesn't suit others but for us, the amber necklaces do work!

jillhastwoponies Sun 12-Sep-10 22:45:12

little boys look like cute surfer-dudes in them.

little girls look a bit common, in a baby-in-a-necklace kind of a way.

the pain relief claims are bollocks smile

but this from a woman who has been collecting conkers today to keep Spiders out of her house...

bruffin Sun 12-Sep-10 23:38:00

The risk is from choking if it broke. Even if it is knotted one bead would still be loose and could be swallowed

Doodleydoo Sun 12-Sep-10 23:55:11

I have to say I couldn't see the risk of choking as a huge hazard - reasons being that all the beads were knotted individually, all were small but with large central holes so if the risk of swallowing was there then the would have been th possibility of air getting through, and lastly my dd and no other child I know with the necklace has been able to get the necklace actually into their mouth whilst it is around their neck therefore if they were pulling at it and it fell apart the likelihood would have been that the beads would have remained in a chain whilst the any loose beads are likely to have fallen to the floor/ escaped little hands.

Of course all possibilities could happen but of the children I have known to have these necklaces all have found comfort from the amber and none of the necklaces have broken/been close to choking. It may be that we all bought them from the same source who knows but they have been brilliant and are well worth a shot for those who don't like to give too much calpol/ibroprufen. I like them but I also have found that accupuncture has worked for various things for me too but I know that it doesn't work for some people.

kreecherlivesupstairs Mon 13-Sep-10 07:47:23

Woo.

deemented Mon 13-Sep-10 08:02:00

To those people so sure that amber necklaces don't work - have you actually tried them?

seeker Mon 13-Sep-10 08:33:17

They can't possibly work. Any effect is compoletely pschycsomatic. Nothing wrong with that, obviouly, but don't be duped into thinking that they have any actual physical effect.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now