Talk

Advanced search

How to pick your battles...

(6 Posts)
Sammiez Mon 19-Jul-10 15:03:21

with under 6year old kids. I desperately need help here. I am constantly telling my kids off and hitting them uneccessarily. I am a monster! A very hard to please b***h. I have no excuses. I just need to stop being horrible!!!

Nemofish Mon 19-Jul-10 18:05:52

picking your battles = telling off for hitting, screaming, name calling, bad behaviour.

Silliness that doesn't hurt anyone - ignore.

Unfortunately they may well be copying your behaviour, leading to more screaming shouting and hitting all round. Lead by example - remember they learn how to behave from watching you.

BitOfFun Mon 19-Jul-10 18:16:33

If you are actually hitting your kids, perhaps you need some RL help? Do you still see a Health Visitor?

nagoo Mon 19-Jul-10 18:41:27

I try very hard to let my DS be a child, only telling him off for being willfully naughty, rather than silly (eg hitting, running away other dangerous stuff)

I tried a new regime of praise praise praise and it's really paid off, I get a lot more good behaviour. I make sure DS knows what is expected of him. When he's starting to play up I start a conversation about how well he behaved on X occasion.

If I've got more than one DC and one is being naughty while the other one behaves, I praise the 'good' one and tell then that they'll get the 'treat' (eg biscuit after lunch) that the other one might not get if they continue.

I warn him the first time, then if he continues, I tell him again what the consequence will be and count to five. The counting should help you keep perspective and your temper.

Sammiez Mon 19-Jul-10 22:02:46

Thank you! Please what is RL help? I feel a constant pressure that hasn't eased off. So tense all the time. I use praise a lot but then lose it after trying so hard not to yell. I think I will have to speak to health visitor. I am on waiting list for some counselling as was depressed. I am incontrollable

BitOfFun Tue 20-Jul-10 00:45:01

Sorry, I meant real life. Yes, do speak to someone, it sounds like you are really struggling.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now