Talk

Advanced search

DC at secondary school. Is it totally OTT to get them their own laptops?

(25 Posts)
OrmRenewed Mon 19-Jul-10 12:31:27

We have one laptop for the family atm. It gets used for homework, internet, e-mail, household budgetting etc.

Obviously it's in great demand. And we get queues and arguments when hw is needing to be done. Currys have some on sale for 199. We can afford it atm (just).

I don't want them to think they can have everything they want but is it a good idea to get one each for the oldest 2 while we can afford it? Or is it too extravagant?

herbietea Mon 19-Jul-10 12:35:05

Message withdrawn

OrmRenewed Mon 19-Jul-10 12:35:58

OK. Thanks

It's the arguments that wind us up!

Hassled Mon 19-Jul-10 12:37:20

I'd go for it. Not for their sake, for yours. My older DCs got through High School with just one PC in the house for all of us and it was doable, we survived, but it really wasn't fun. I had a rota, and I'd have to write down start times to stop the "he had 5 minutes more than me" stuff. Hideous.

cory Mon 19-Jul-10 18:57:37

We did. And I am not usually overindulgent when it comes to providing mine with all the latest gadgets.

hana Mon 19-Jul-10 19:19:06

dd will be getting one when she starts secondary, makes absolute sense.

scurryfunge Mon 19-Jul-10 19:23:15

Buy one exclusively for mumsnetting and the rest can sort it out amongst themselves.smile

SixtyFootDoll Mon 19-Jul-10 19:27:19

No issue. DS1 is aged 10 hs his own laptop.
In fact his is beter than mine.

TurtleAnn Mon 19-Jul-10 19:32:10

Yes, kids have grown up in a world where the primary information source is the computer, internet, e-books etc. It is reasonable that they would need their own laptop for secondary school.
There is also a range of software to help you monitor their activity; a keylogger will tell you what keys they are pressing, e.g. what they are typing and network nanny software will log the websites they view.
I can't wait till my DS grows up and asks me what the world was like before computers were on every desk and in every home! It'll be like when I asked my Mum about how steam trains were replaced by electric mainlines in her lifetime.

roisin Mon 19-Jul-10 20:04:21

We've held off getting separate laptops for the kids. Dh has a laptop for work, which is sometimes available evenings for homework. But it doesn't (he chooses not to) connect to internet. We also have 1 internet PC.

My mum has offered, and kept offering, to get the boys laptops when we think is the appropriate time. We are going to take her up on this for ds1 this year. But he's not getting it til September (start of yr9), cos otherwise he'll just want to play on it all summer!

AnnoyingOrange Mon 19-Jul-10 20:10:06

my ds in yr 6 has his own desktop pc

usualsuspect Mon 19-Jul-10 20:13:18

I would,essential for facebook msn homework..

QOD Mon 19-Jul-10 20:18:56

I am blooooody lucky - dd is starting at local grammar school and they give each child a lap top (they got funding as they are maths & computing speciality)
Good all round!

usualsuspect Mon 19-Jul-10 20:28:39

Bloody hell, every child a free laptop ? if only

scurryfunge Mon 19-Jul-10 20:32:26

At my nephew's school all children are expected to have a laptop which the parents pay for over the secondary school years they are there.

They keep it at the end and all maintenance and upgrades are included. I can't remember what they pay though sorry.

PurpleCrazyHorse Tue 20-Jul-10 09:58:00

"I don't want them to think they can have everything they want"

Maybe buy them and keep until the start of the school term or offer as part of their christmas/birthday presents (so they don't expect big gifts then too). As they're older, I'm sure you can explain this to them.

I'd certainly do it, you're only deferring the inevitable. But get some good minding software so you know what they're up to.

GetOrfMoiLand Tue 20-Jul-10 10:01:59

My dd has had a laptop since she was 11.

It is a great disciplinary tool. If she doesn't do what I say I threaten to take the laptop away for the weekend. Cue perfectly behaved daughter.

gobnat Mon 08-Aug-11 15:37:37

Hello all.Am going to get dd a laptop for starting secondary school next month.It can be har birthday present as well so can you recommend any particular one?Thanks...

IAmTheCookieMonster Mon 08-Aug-11 15:53:49

education is very ICT orientated now, so I think it is a good idea.

yummumto3girls Tue 09-Aug-11 00:01:44

My DD1 has had laptop since 8 (now 10). Absolutely invaluable for homework etc and so educational for her. Dd2 wants one and will also get one at 8. We have DELL laptops and have had no problems. I know many will say 8 is too young but I consider access to a computer an essential part of life and education now a days so if you can afford it, do it!

piprabbit Tue 09-Aug-11 00:04:40

Our primary school loans basic laptops to all yr6 children, I think that it is a great idea if you can afford a laptop and are willing/able to make it a secure learning environment for your children.

Sleepglorioussleep Tue 09-Aug-11 09:05:47

If you can absolutely do. In a world where the Internet is the primary research tool, it is a bit like sharing books to share a computer. Of course it's doable, but if you're policing their use and making sure that all members of the family aren't spending their days glued to a computer screen, why not?

CarrieOakey Tue 09-Aug-11 09:08:16

We are getting one for DD she is about to start Y4. Computer access caused no end of arguments last year and with more and more of her homework requiring the computer we think it's a good purchase. Nothing fancy and nothing expensive.

Bonsoir Tue 09-Aug-11 09:11:58

If you can afford to get them their own laptops, go for it.

Snorbs Tue 09-Aug-11 09:38:55

I've got two computers in my house - a laptop that is mine, and a desktop that my DCs (12yo and 9yo) share. It needs a bit of policing to ensure that they get time to do homework but it's no big deal.

I chose a desktop for the DCs because it's stuck in one place and therefore I can keep an eye on what they're doing on it. Even though I've got software running on it that blocks access to dodgy sites, I think parental supervision of what children do online is extremely important for a whole load of reasons.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now