Talk

Advanced search

new Bath time crying 15mo

(7 Posts)
liamsdaddy Sun 18-Jul-10 20:15:26

Our DS is 15 months, for the last few months bath times have generally been an extension of playtime where I try to get him clean and he tries to put as much of the water out of the bath as he can.

The last couple of baths have been a completely different experience; he has just sat there whimpering/semi-crying and not playing. The only other thing I noticed that he does prod his danglies whilst he is whimpering.

We have a couple of theories; one is that he might have an infection - I've read that bubble bath can cause irritations. But why would that be the case all of a sudden when he has had the same brand for a while would be another question.

The other theory is that he has just got to that age when he has decided that he would rather not be bathed and the danglies bit is a red herring because he is exploring his body more now. There are other ares where he is pushing his own independence.

I'd be interested to read others thoughts and experiences.

ByThePowerOfGreyskull Sun 18-Jul-10 20:16:41

get in the bath with him and see if that helps. our boys love being in the bath with someone else but not so keen on being on thier own.

TurtleAnn Sun 18-Jul-10 20:52:28

I would definately explore the GP route and check out his bits. Any difficulties getting his nappy on and off - above and beyond the usual chaos?

katechristie Sun 18-Jul-10 22:14:26

try bathtime at a different time tomorrow? ie morning if usually night-time, just to see if it's just that he's tired.

liamsdaddy Tue 20-Jul-10 20:07:09

I tried a suggestion from another friend tonight, and that was to try bathing him standing up.

Although he did initially cry, which was probably due to tiredness, he did seem to find that ok - especially if i gave him the sponge. Bathing him standing up is easier as well! (bonus)

I don't think he has a UTI as nappies have been normal and not noticed any smells (my friend also said that wee when there is an infection often smells).

I think it's probably a bit of tiredness involved. He is a lot more active now and I do take him for "walkies" when I get home from work as long as it isn't raining (he can actually cover a lot of distance).

Unfortunately mornings won't work - since I don't think my DW will appreciate me dumping a soggy boy on her at 6am so I can get dressed for work!

Dizzle Tue 20-Jul-10 20:22:28

Is standing up in the bath ok? We've had many tears trying to get DS to sit down because of falling - are we being a little silly?!

lindsell Tue 20-Jul-10 20:29:54

My ds (also 15mo) has been like this for about a month now, he used to love bathtime but now if we put him in on his own he screams and tries to climb out.

A couple of things we've tried that seem to work - getting in first and then getting him in so he's not in there on his own and also having the water temp lower than it used to be

Sometimes it's ok now and he enjoys it and other times he still screams (esp if he's tired)

I'm hoping it's just a phase as he's becoming more aware of his surroundings/separation anxiety

He's usually much happier when dh does bathtime - he likes to play me up!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now