Talk

Advanced search

Need help with a very sensitive complaint against a massive multinational!

(1409 Posts)
MrsRickman Fri 16-Jul-10 17:58:45

Ok, here goes.
Coca Cola are running a promo via their Dr Pepper brand just now on facebook. It is called 'status takeover' and involves the application putting an embarrassing or funny status on your FB page.
My 14 yo dd participated and I was HORRIFIED to log into FB and see that her status read - 'I watched 2 girls one cup and felt hungry afterwards'. For anyone who doesn't know what this means, please stay ignorant, for those who do, you can imagine how I felt. This was compounded later on when a quick search through dds internet history revealed she had tried to find out what it was for herself. Thankfully, our ISP has a wonderful child filter!!
So, after various emails and phonecalls to CocaCola marketing I have been offered (quite offensively) as way of compensation, a night in a hotel and theatre tickets for the West End. Fat lot of use to me, we live in Glasgow.
So, how do I proceed? ASA? I am absolutely fizzing with rage and disgust, and want a full apology and explanation. CocaCola are saying they use outside marketing teams for different brands and it's outside their jurisdiction. Help!?
angry

BeerTricksPotter Sat 17-Jul-10 16:14:05

Message withdrawn

tabouleh Sat 17-Jul-10 16:49:49

I have sent an email to the address given on Tanya Byron's website.

Due to her work on internet safety, I'm sure she will be interested (and saddened).

No idea if it will get through/go to her etc but thought it was worth a try.

fanjolina Sat 17-Jul-10 17:01:29

I would hold Facebook equally accountable. They vet all promotions run on their site in advance - see here

Slubberdegullion Sat 17-Jul-10 17:08:11

Adding my support for you MrsR.

Disgraceful that a 14yo should have been exposed to this.

The 'compensation' of a trip to the West End is so laughably inept I hardly no what to say. Ahh yes thank you so much CC for exposing my daughter to this but never mind eh, I've always wanted to see Les Mis.

Polgara2 Sat 17-Jul-10 17:13:21

OMG MrsR that is appalling. Good luck with this. I have a 13 yr old dd and the thought of her seeing this just makes me want to cry quite frankly!

twoistwiceasfun Sat 17-Jul-10 17:13:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bibbitybobbityhat Sat 17-Jul-10 20:01:49

Just wondering if there has been any more progress on your campaign MrsR?

ISNT Sat 17-Jul-10 20:21:12

Also pretty hmm at what itsallgoingtobefine has posted.

I mean that's not in the same league byu a long chalk, but still, references to wanking are not on for something aimed at young teens either? A competition in nuts or zoo or something, maybe, but not for children.

This campaign is just bizarrely ill judged. I think Len is right and the campaign has been designed by some young men who have put in what they find funny and forgotten who this is being aimed at.

Just angry

StripeyMoon Sat 17-Jul-10 20:26:51

Marking spot to see progress.

ljgibbs Sat 17-Jul-10 20:35:55

OMG MrsR, good on you for taking this further.

NetworkGuy Sat 17-Jul-10 21:18:31

I think IWF work 7 days a week, whereas the agency staff and promotions/ management at Coca Cola are probably watching the Gold or something...

Strike while the iron's hot - I'd love to see Coca Cola | Dr Pepper highlighted as the reason for blocking FaceBook from everyone in the UK, even if it's only for 24 hours !

NetworkGuy Sat 17-Jul-10 21:19:14

Oh dear... watching the Golf (!)

mtlb Sat 17-Jul-10 21:47:43

MrsRickman - please <a href="mailto:mtlbblog@gmail.com">email me</a> re: this story for a U.S. ad blog.

mtlb Sat 17-Jul-10 21:54:07

(Sorry or the wrong code. Trying again.)

MrsRickman - please email me re: this story for a U.S. ad blog.

NetworkGuy Sat 17-Jul-10 22:06:48

Might be worth giving a link to that blog for completeness, so MrsR can have a look and decide if she wants to provide any info. It would be courteous since you're asking for her to e-mail.

PixieOnaLeaf Sat 17-Jul-10 22:25:24

Message withdrawn

MrsRickman Sat 17-Jul-10 22:25:51

Ok, thanks everyone for keeping the topic going.
I've fired off a few more emails today - CEOP, Facebook, the creators of the app (as well as reporting the app over 12 hours ago, needless to say it's still on the go) and Coca Cola Enterprises.
No replies from anyone, which I expected with it being Saturday.
Trying to calm myself down and stay focused for the onslaught of phone calls I plan to make on Monday if I've still had no replies.
Thank you to everyone on this thread who has also taken the initiative to report this app or email the authorities.

PixieOnaLeaf Sat 17-Jul-10 22:27:07

Message withdrawn

MrsRickman Sat 17-Jul-10 22:56:41

Would anyone be willing to go through the t&cs on the Facebook app and give me a second opinion?
I may be wrong, but it looks as if they are saying that to be in with a chance of winning the £1000 prize you need to keep your profile public. Surely this is also in contravention to the safety of minors on the internet?
I'm almost cross eyed with all the reading of small print I've done today.

look at point 7

if you scroll down it also gives you all the possible updates, the offending one is not there.
Thanks.

theyoungvisiter Sat 17-Jul-10 23:01:56

MrsRickman - your link took me to a screen allowing DrPepper to install the application on my facebook account.

I assume that's not what you were intending?! I can't see how to access the T&Cs without installing the application.

WorkingItOutAsIGo Sat 17-Jul-10 23:05:45

Just another voice of support. We need to be able to give our teenagers some space and freedom on the net and how can we do that safely when even 'trusted' brands do this sort of thing.

We need MrsBaldwin back - she was so fab on the last big MB complaint on advertising!

Good on you MrsR.

EthelredOnAGoodDay Sat 17-Jul-10 23:11:58

I just wanted to add my support to the OP. I am fairly broadminded, but at what point did that sort of disgusting 'suggestion' in public become acceptable to anyone, let alone a teenage girl?? This is BAD and coca cola should be very ashamed-this does not sit well with all their wholesome, father christmas adverts does it?

Frankly i am astounded.

MrsRickman Sat 17-Jul-10 23:14:02

Yeah, I had to add the app so I could get a screengrab of the t&cs and potential updates before they magically changed or disappeared.
I've removed the application from my page now. Obviously I wouldn't want anyone to do anything they were uncomfortable with.

mtlb Sat 17-Jul-10 23:49:01

@NetworkGuy - No problem. Here it is.

(We’ve since discussed via email.)

strandedatsea Sun 18-Jul-10 01:31:43

MrsR - just adding my support to what you are doing. I have daughters and although they are too young for facebook yet, I would be horrified if they saw this status and decided to try googling it....

And agree with whoever mentioned copying in Private Eye, especially if you don't get anywhere with Coca Cola et al.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »