Talk

Advanced search

When to stop sterilising?

(17 Posts)
monkeytrousers Fri 19-Aug-05 20:03:08

DS is 10 months and hv says to keep it up till over a year but don't they have to build up some resistance to germs?

And when is it okay to give water straight from the tap?

Nbg Fri 19-Aug-05 20:05:37

I stopped sterilising about a week before dd's 1st birthday. I was so sick of seeing the steriliser!

Tap water, I think I gave that around 7 months.

Tipex Fri 19-Aug-05 20:05:49

I dont sterilise anything and DS is only 6months. dont sterilise the expresser or bottles but then never leave the milk in them for longer than a few hours and its only breast milk. Not sure if the deal is different with formula. I would think at 12m its ok to have water straight out the tap. Today DS has drank in the public swimming pool and then his bath that he had weed in so suppose it a bit daft really to worry about tap water!!!

Tipex Fri 19-Aug-05 20:06:35

I typed that as pubic bath before correcting it but have just been thinking how apt it was...they really are minging places arent they!!

JulieF Fri 19-Aug-05 20:24:07

Formula milk breeds bacteria very easily whereas breastmilk has natural anti-bacterial properties. For that reason you should sterilise until 12 months.

Water you can stop sterilising/boiling at 6 months.

motherinferior Fri 19-Aug-05 20:26:19

When you just can't face it any more.

I'd bet the farm that people stop earlier with second babies.

monkeytrousers Fri 19-Aug-05 20:26:35

What about giving DS a cup of milk in his cot though the night? Is that bad form?

monkeytrousers Fri 19-Aug-05 20:27:28

I want to start using my steriliser as a veggie steamer

motherinferior Fri 19-Aug-05 20:28:24

Yep, think so, rots their teeth, and doesn't help Independent Sleep, all that sort of thing.

Sorry. Try watering it down progressively?

fruitful Fri 19-Aug-05 20:30:09

Some interesting threads -

no need to sterilise

tap water

The NHS book (Birth to Five) says you can stop sterilising and boiling tap water at 6 months.

fruitful Fri 19-Aug-05 20:32:09

You stop giving them milk during the night at the point when constantly getting up to get the milk seems worse than enduring the tantrums while they get used to not being given milk...

serah Fri 19-Aug-05 21:01:13

Wotcha Orangy-pants

DS is 8 months and I no longer boil the water - doesn't seem to hurt him one bit, but I also have positively encouraged him to roll around in the grass and muck purely to build up resistance to germs.

Read this on sterlisation - something I had realised, but actually reading it here gave me the confidence to get rid of my steriliser - its soooooo liberating not having to jump through quite so many hoops anymore!!

RTKangaMummy's inspirational thread

kama Fri 19-Aug-05 21:01:51

Message withdrawn

kama Fri 19-Aug-05 21:02:15

Message withdrawn

kama Fri 19-Aug-05 21:03:35

Message withdrawn

Gobbledigook Fri 19-Aug-05 21:04:30

I've pretty much always given water straight from tap.

Gave up sterilising a couple of months ago (ds3 is 11.5 months now). He's also on cows milk now too.

monkeytrousers Sat 20-Aug-05 10:19:18

Wow, thanks guys. I'm going to make lunch with the steriliser today!

Serah - great thread. Gonna make dp read it now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now