Talk

Advanced search

isn't this a shame

(37 Posts)
LucyJones Thu 18-Aug-05 20:58:30

I mostly just post on April 2004 post natal thread but lurk around the rest of the site. Today whilst lurking I had a look at the April 2005 babies thread for nostalgic reasons! And this comment made me feel really sad as I felt exactly like this a year ago and often still do which is why I stick to just the one thread.
This is the comment "I saw a thread on here about early weaning recently and the mums who wanted to or had weaned at four months were really slated. I hardly ever post on the other threads as it seems to so often turn into snipey criticism. Seems a real shame that such an incerdibly useful site can sometimes bring out the worst in people. Tend to just look things up in the archives when theres something I want a bit of advice or info on!"
I'm not posting this to start a huge dispute but just to point out that this site might be off putting to some new people. Hope you don't think I'm out or order saying that

hunkermunker Thu 18-Aug-05 21:16:59

Speaking as a late weaner, I received quite a slating from early weaners a little while ago!

There are loads of supportive threads and wonderful people on this site - I think that if people can't see beyond the few arguments and sillinesses that happen (and frankly, I like a bit of excitement - if it was all hugs and chat, that would put me off - healthy debate with a bit of frivolour whimsy is my bag!), then that is the real shame!

Try the rest of the site - it's lovely (usually)!

hunkermunker Thu 18-Aug-05 21:17:43

And I posted on April 2004 for a while, till a post about DS being really ill and me being v worried about him was totally ignored - can't be srsed since!

LucyJones Thu 18-Aug-05 21:18:02

Hi Hunkermumker! Just thought it was sad that someone else has found the site off putting

LucyJones Thu 18-Aug-05 21:18:53

sorry to hear that. I ony post now and again and don't get a chance to read all the posts. Hope ds is okay now. I know hmc felt like that about the thread at one point

hunkermunker Thu 18-Aug-05 21:21:49

Hi LJ - I think it's partly because I wasn't with the April 2004 lot since pregnancy - I'm not upset by it, just decided not to bother any more! I know how difficult it is to keep up with the postnatal threads (am having my own troubles trying to keep up with the due in Jan '06 one now!).

I think that if you're going to post on a forum like this, on threads about "subjects", not just chatty ones, then you need quite a thick skin - just the way of cyberspace, I suppose. But I would hate to think that anyone in genuine need of help or support was ignored or squashed

Twiglett Thu 18-Aug-05 21:22:14

its a shame that people find recommendations from the WHO that have been in place for over a decade and are based on scientific research to maximise their children's health throughout their lives offputting

and tbh I don't understand why

hunkermunker Thu 18-Aug-05 21:22:52

Yep, would agree (but I'm a late weaner with a penchant for linking to the WHO information ).

JoolsToo Thu 18-Aug-05 21:24:06

we never had all this in my day - tch

no computers

LucyJones Thu 18-Aug-05 21:24:20

sorry Twiglett, I was by no means suggesting that the WHO gidelines are offputting. Just a bit saddened that someone had been unwilling to ask the site for advice. This isn't a thread about weaning

hyphenlover Thu 18-Aug-05 21:24:21

twiglett i don't think it's the weaning advice that people find off-putting
it's the way in which some people voice their opinions on the matter

we all know that weaning threads get heated and quite often people do end up being slated...

i do think it's a shame that this happens and that new people are put off by it... but to be honest it will happen on ANY internet forum. There will always be people with differing opinions who want to voice them strongly

Twiglett Thu 18-Aug-05 21:34:17

contentious point coming up

if people are put off by strong opinions regarding weaning then I think that's probably for the best

because they'll have a total breakdown when they see threads where people are arguing about religion, politics and what spreads go well with toast ....

Twiglett Thu 18-Aug-05 21:34:18

contentious point coming up

if people are put off by strong opinions regarding weaning then I think that's probably for the best

because they'll have a total breakdown when they see threads where people are arguing about religion, politics and what spreads go well with toast ....

Twiglett Thu 18-Aug-05 21:35:23

and I for one like all the different personalities here .. without them it would just be another bland forum .. and if I wanted that I'd play on babyworld

<twiglett sticks out marmitey tongue>

(oh and before hunkermunker jumps in everyone knows its marmite .. the toast thing that is )

LucyJones Thu 18-Aug-05 21:35:26

that's true

hunkermunker Thu 18-Aug-05 21:36:54

So contentious she said it twice!

Pshaw - marmite's not the best thing on toast (and put that tongue away!).

Twiglett Thu 18-Aug-05 21:37:39

sorry about repeating myself

(and HM .. of course it is .. you don't know nuffink)

hyphenlover Thu 18-Aug-05 21:38:10

have to say i agree with twiglett on the marmite front

JoolsToo Thu 18-Aug-05 21:38:34

it's the stick I object to - yuck! an not suitable for weaning

Twiglett Thu 18-Aug-05 21:40:45

quel stick Jools?

JoolsToo Thu 18-Aug-05 21:41:26

Twigletts

hercules Thu 18-Aug-05 21:44:11

I think you'll be hard pushed to find a chat site where people never disagree not to mention noone would post on it as it would be so boring.
It's also a shame that it's assumed it's the early weaners who get slated when actually people who follow the WHO get criticised as well!

Twiglett Thu 18-Aug-05 21:45:41

just to continue herc's point

so do breastfeeders, bottlefeeders, dummy users, bottle users, reign users, conservatives, liberal pinkos, old mums, young mums, single mums, married mums, unmarried but living with partner mums ....

JoolsToo Thu 18-Aug-05 21:46:35

Daily Mail readers ......

moondog Thu 18-Aug-05 21:48:33

Which 'reign user' is that Twig??? The Queen??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now