Talk

Advanced search

Feel like a bad mummy :(

(9 Posts)
lumpkin Thu 18-Aug-05 17:35:28

Tomorrow we are moving house, so as you can imagine we are in major disruption, and nearly everything in boxes. Last week was my son's first birthday, and I didn't think I could cope with solicitors, estate agents, packing etc., and do a party for him. Now I am regretting not doing it and feel terrible, afterall he will never have a first birthday again...am I really out of order for not doing this for him?. We had family around for tea and a birthday cake - but the only kids were his sister and cousin. I feel like he has missed out, as we did everthing for his sisters first birthday!

vickitiredmum Thu 18-Aug-05 17:37:15

Ah bless. Its only you that feels bad - he doesnt have a clue whats going on to be honest! You could always have something a bit later but i think having your close family and friends round is more than adequate!

starlover Thu 18-Aug-05 17:37:27

i think family with tea and cake is perfect!
that's all i will be doing for ds

save the big celebrations for when they are older and will appreciate it more!

Hattie05 Thu 18-Aug-05 17:39:46

Don't feel bad at all! Dd had family tea and cake, and a trip to the farm with just me and dp! And we weren't moving. I just can't get over why people want to go to all the trouble of organising a big event that the child won't take much notice off being so young, and certainly won't remember it in years to come!!

QueenOfQuotes Thu 18-Aug-05 17:40:11

I wouldn't worry about it - they don't have a clue it's their birthday - and there'll be plenty more.

DS1 didn't get ANYHTYING (apart from cake and presents from us) on his 4TH birthday - and is unlikely to get anything for his 5th either

supersonic Thu 18-Aug-05 17:40:48

I wouldn't beat yourself up about it (easier said than done I know) I always feel I should be doing more than I actually have all because I am having to keep up with other people at the end of the day as long as your child had a lovely day and it was celebrated with people that are important that is the main thing.

troutpout Thu 18-Aug-05 20:47:26

Aww...bet he had a lovely birthday tea He wouldn't have known he was missing out...just that he was having a lovely time with the people who mean the most to him.
This is all i did for Dd's first birthday and we weren't even moving! In fact after getting caught up in the party madness far to early with ds (now 8) i am still wondering how long i can get away without doing a proper party for Dd .
Cut yourself some slack...sounds like you've got enough to contend with

lumpkin Thu 18-Aug-05 20:58:47

Thanks everyone, I feel much better now!! I can make it up to the poor lad next year.

compo Thu 18-Aug-05 21:06:58

aw don't feel bad. We were really porr for ds' first b/day so didn't get him a present as we knew friends and family would get loads. My sister made me feel like Scrooge when she said 'you didn't get him a present? What age will you get him a presnt?' I just laughed it off and aid when he's 2 but I felt like the worst mum ever

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now