Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

taking wallpapers off walls

(6 Posts)
lewislewis Wed 17-Aug-05 22:23:46

How difficult/horrible it is? Average sized 3 bedder, wallpaper everywhere, on ceilings as well....

Hattie05 Wed 17-Aug-05 22:27:07

Wallpapers fine!! its when you have ghastly artex and textured paint on the walls theres a problem - can you tell what i've been doing a lot off?

Sometimes you are lucky and can peel the top layer off in large sheets whilst its dry ( if not you'll need to soak it very well) Then soak the underside which has the glue on and scrape off.

Word of warning - wallpaper (esp. when on ceilings) is often there to disguise cracks, or graffiti and ghastly coloured paint. So be prepared to do a bit of filling and sanding.
But personally i'd rather see a few cracks in the wall than wallpaper anyday!

Good luck!

shrub Wed 17-Aug-05 22:27:16

depends -though if you score (scratch/cross hatch with craft knife or similar) lightly first, then wet it with a sponge it should come ok with a scraper. it can be quite satisfying when you manage to get a whole sheet if in one go but be prepared what lies beneath- ie. old bits of cracked plaster!

XmariaX Wed 17-Aug-05 22:53:11

ive just been stripping wallpaper off my stairs its woodchip and its a right bugger to get off but i found that a steam stripper was really good at getting it off but still needed a lot of hard work the living room was the same and it took forever to get off gl

Pixiefish Wed 17-Aug-05 22:58:06

I've just moved and have stripped and papered 2 rooms. painted the wallpaper in the others and have had enough with 2 rooms left to go so have decided to bite the bullet and get a decorator in as there's some real long drops over stairs to do.

The walls probablh won't be good enough to paint and you'll end up rewallpapering-try to get decent wallpaper as its easier to put up than the cheap stuff (super fresco very good, easy to paint and most of it doesn't need a match)

lewislewis Thu 18-Aug-05 21:41:08

Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now