Talk

Advanced search

tax credits..please tell me this isnt this months payment

(29 Posts)
Nemo1977 Tue 16-Aug-05 15:36:34

hi
just looked in my bank account and there is a tax credits payment of £1.83 in my account. It is odd as my last payment was on 27th july and I usually get £170 a month. I did phone up last week to go through the annual review thing so it is possible that they owed me £1.83 and have paid it in or will this be my payment for this month.....i hope not otherwise I am in trouble

Nemo1977 Tue 16-Aug-05 15:40:55

actually its not even£1.83 its £1.39...arghhhhhhhhhh

Bozza Tue 16-Aug-05 15:41:16

I think it might be an extra payment to make sure you got the right amount for last year. I got an extra payment for last year which I think was due to my maternity leave. Don't think it can be your monthly payment because that would not be due until next week by my reckoning. In the next few days you will probably receive an explanation of why they've paid you that.

Now my problem is that I believe they are overpaying me (taking into account last year's mat. leave when obviously I am no longer on mat. leave) so think I have probably already received my full amount for the year...

expatinscotland Tue 16-Aug-05 15:42:09

ugggh! dunno. best to contact them again. SUCH a nightmare, aren't they? we're not getting them anymore and don't plan to even after our appeal has been upheld. just too stressful, imo.

Nemo1977 Tue 16-Aug-05 15:42:25

Bozza have you phoned them? They do continue togo by last years until you tell them otherwise..hence me phoning last week...

Nemo1977 Tue 16-Aug-05 15:44:15

expat i agree it is stupid but being a sahm it is a major source of money for us to be able to actually go out and do some things etc. I do wish I could just say s%d it but cant afford to

Bozza Tue 16-Aug-05 15:53:03

Yes I phoned them last week as well. I'm hoping it gets dealt with quickly because I think we have probably already been overpaid (by my calculations our payments should be a third of what they are).

expatinscotland Tue 16-Aug-05 16:07:02

Ugggh. I feel your pain, Nemo. DH was a SAHD before they cocked up our credits and yanked them entirely - hence the appeal. He had to get an evening/weekend job b/c we can't afford childcare. We live on the poverty line now after taxes and NI.

Hope you get it sorted.

jessicaandbumpsmummy Tue 16-Aug-05 16:08:29

Nemo - PHONE THEM NOW.... put your mind at rest!

mummyhill Tue 16-Aug-05 16:13:57

I phoned them to notify them that i will be on reduced salary as I am on maternity leave and they have reduced my payment by £4 a month. I give in the system is b*dy hopeless.

expatinscotland Tue 16-Aug-05 16:32:34

Word to the wise: if you qualify for WTC, between the months of November, 2005 and March, 2006 your WTC payments will cease to be included in your pay packet and are supposed to begin coming directly from HM Revenues & Customs. TCO has assured recipients that there will be no disruption in their payments, and whilst it is entirely possible miracles occur on Earth, should you experience problems w/WTC during this time, that may be why.

mummyhill Wed 17-Aug-05 08:57:04

Ohh my god what a nightmare I am glad mine come direct allready feel sorry for those who will be affected by this change.

expatinscotland Wed 17-Aug-05 09:30:37

EVERYONE who receives WTC will be affected directly. CTC will be administered as usual, but WTC is always paid thru the employer in the recipient's pay package. This is what will be changed over to HM Revenues & Customs. So if you get WTC, you will be affected. You also should have received written notification of the change in your Tax Credits Update newsletter.

Nemo1977 Wed 17-Aug-05 09:51:46

expat our WTC is paid with the ctc straight into my account?????? Or at least thats what they have always said. I am soooo confused..lol

LCH Wed 17-Aug-05 09:52:55

Our WTC has always been paid directly into dp's account every week too, surley we won't be effected then ?

expatinscotland Wed 17-Aug-05 09:56:03

It's paid by the employer. But it's going to be coming directly from HM Revenues & Customs, so everyone who gets WTC will be affected.

Letters should be coming to all WTC recipients regarding the 'change'. The TCO says the change won't affect recipients, however. But for some reason I'm skeptical of whatever they say. Prolly b/c of poor overall experience w/tax credits in our case.

Nemo1977 Thu 18-Aug-05 10:17:27

well it turns out the lovely £1.39 is not this months payment but the rest of this years...WTF are they playing at. I am so upset as I always phone with all the changes we have etc and they are now saying we owe them £1800

mummyhill Thu 18-Aug-05 17:32:20

Nemo1977 - feeling on your behalf why do they keep messing peoples payments up? Think they need to overhaul their computer system and maybe sack the programmer as there seem to be lots of miss calculations.

expatinscotland Thu 18-Aug-05 17:34:17

Nemo
I feel your pain! Our WTC was also ended and we were told we owe £1900. We are currently appealing. Hence, DH has had to get an evening job just to keep us afloat, b/c we got into about £1400 worth of debt just trying to pay basic bills until he found a job that would work about childcare - we cannot afford a nursery and DD is only 2.

Get thee to the CAB immediately!

Gillian76 Thu 18-Aug-05 17:36:47

Do you know... I just don't get it. I may be looking at ths too simply but as fas as I see it

-tax credit comes from the Inland Revenue
-tax from your salary goes to Inland Revenue

Surely it's just a matter of one department talking to another???

Why is it so difficult???

Nemo1977 Thu 18-Aug-05 17:37:04

I have actually phoned this morning and it looks like whoever I spoke to in Feb did not update our details as I told him to hence the payments being stopped. I am being sent a letter to appeal and have been told I will be given hardship payments...how much that will be I dont know but I said if its the fantastic amount of £1.39 a month then they can shove it. I am so angry as could do without the stress as I already suffer depression and am 23wks pg.

Am annoyed for all of us being put through this

expatinscotland Thu 18-Aug-05 17:38:19

How is it that folks making £50,000/annum are getting tax credit and someone who is making £13,500 is told they were overpaid and get nothing? I'm still trying to work that out, b/c that is my wage - poverty line after taxes and NI. And DH had to go back to work so we could avoid homelessness.

Nemo1977 Thu 18-Aug-05 17:39:46

Expat how long have you been appealing for? I just dont know what to do as that money should have been here next week and is half my mortgage money

expatinscotland Thu 18-Aug-05 17:41:25

Aw, Nemo! Big (((HUGS))). Honey, I KNOW how stressful this is! I'm also 23 weeks pregnant, and had to be prescribed tranquilisers due to panic attacks as a result of all this.

I wrote my MP ASAP and complained to the Adjudicator ASAP as well, as my health has suffered from stress.

Like you, our 'overpayment' was caused by THEIR clerical error.

I'm so sorry!

Try, try hard to look after your health, but don't be afraid to approach your midwife or GP if you feel stressed. Why? B/c you'd BETTER believe I'm going after the £500 compensation for all the misery they're putting us through just now.

You are NOT alone, Nemo. Far, far from it.

expatinscotland Thu 18-Aug-05 17:43:55

Nemo
Our appeal is 2 months old. I've been told it can take a while. Not surprised. Hence, DH had to take a job from 6-11PM weeknights for Enterprise - he picks up hire cars and brings them back to the depot for valeting - he also valets them.

We were unable to pay rent, food and other basic bills w/o the money, b/c there were three of us living off my £13,500/annum and this is a high rent city.

I cannot 'just quit my job' and get a higher paying one b/c of being pregnant and needing the paid maternity leave.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now