Talk

Advanced search

Anyone got double doors between their living/dining room??!

(13 Posts)
Joso Tue 16-Aug-05 12:17:03

Currently got a big open plan thing going on between my living/dining room. Thinking of putting up double doors so that that one side can be a play room and the other side a living room. I've so had enough of the open plan lark. I'd love to have one room to stash all the toys in and be able to shut the door. Just wandering if any of you mumsnetters can recommend the double door way of life!!? I'm trying to sell the idea to my dh!

edodgy Tue 16-Aug-05 12:24:49

we have just got a wall but we did go to look at a house before we bought this one which had a sliding door in between the two rooms , i thought this was a great idea because then you can have the best of both worlds.

evesmama Tue 16-Aug-05 12:27:20

the house we've just bought has double doors leading to the dining room and i think its great to be able to shut the door and we can have our 'own' room.

our 2nd house was totally seperate rooms, but our third was open plan and was useless.

very good idea IMO

assumedname Tue 16-Aug-05 12:28:16

I've got sliding doors between the living room and dining room - so yes, I think it's a good idea.

Great for parties too.

Lizzylou Tue 16-Aug-05 12:31:24

We have double doors between Lounge and Dining room and it is a godsend........you can stash all the rubbish in the dining room quickly when you see guests arriving on the driveway!

Bozza Tue 16-Aug-05 12:35:02

We have. Don't use them or the dining room that much but means we can open up for parties etc. But rest of the time can keep the kids out.

hermykne Tue 16-Aug-05 12:38:55

joso
we do and its great , walk into a lovely tidy living room after kids gone to bed and relax, in the day i so look forward to those 4 walls and not the kitchen/dining/play zone i'm in

jamiesam Tue 16-Aug-05 13:09:27

Joso
We have double doors too. Previous owner had knocked through between living and dining and it was a bit soulless (and masses of big pink swirling carpet)
Double doors make the room shapes make sense again, enabled us to decorate one side/live in the other, one at a time, iyswim. There is a small risk that the dining room doesn't get much use as we've made the living room the playroom too - would re-think if we were doing it again. It's lovely to have grown up tea in the dining room, and kids drawing stuff is in there now - they can do their homework in there while I'm watching telly when they are older

sallystrawberry Tue 16-Aug-05 13:12:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Windermere Tue 16-Aug-05 13:28:49

We are going to do that too. It will make 2 very tiny rooms but I will keep the doors open all day and just close them at night so I don't have to look at bob the builder whilst I am enjoying my pinot grigio

Prufrock Tue 16-Aug-05 14:13:32

We have double doors between our dining kitchen and the kids living room, which I am going to remove to open up the space as the doors never get closed (though I do have another room to escape to that is blessedly toy free). If you do put doors in, I would say to get sliding ones that disappear as much as possible when the doors are open - you cannot put furniture anywhere within the arc of normal opening doors and small children have a prediliction for getting their fingers trapped in the hinges.

Springchicken Tue 16-Aug-05 14:21:13

We've got double doors between our lounge and kitchen diner. They are fab, let in loads of light from the patio doors, lovely to have open for the open feel look but great to have closed when DP and I are doing different things. It keeps DD in the front room rather than trying to climb in the bin !

Go for it, I love mine.

Joso Tue 16-Aug-05 18:24:54

I knew it! Double doors are where it's at. Thanks ladies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now