Talk

Advanced search

Help me with this.....please!

(20 Posts)
Squirrel3 Fri 12-Aug-05 15:56:25

My dd is disabled and lives in a third floor flat and since having her second child she has been unable to get out of the flat without help, which means she is a virtual prisoner in her own home. The local Council have agreed to move her and had told her that the next three bedroomed property that came up near her little boys school would be hers.

My dp works for a local building firm and does a lot of work for the council on empty properties (getting them ready for new tenants etc), he has got the keys for an empty three bedroomed property in this area to do the work to get it ready. My dd mentioned this property to the council and they are insisting that it is a four bedroomed property so she can't have it.

I have been inside the property and I have searched but I can not find this illusive fourth bedroom, unless they were thinking of turning the garden shed into a fourth bedroom it doesn't exist!!!!!!!

DP could lose his job if they know that I have been inside it and he is not suposed to talk about what houses are available, what can I do?

P.s we got the local councillor involved and they wont let him go and look for himself, and they are insisting it is a four bed to dd's occupatioal therapy officer too!

How can I prove that it is a four bedroomed property without risking dp's job?

Iklboo Fri 12-Aug-05 15:58:20

Say you've spoken to neighbours or previous tenant?

Squirrel3 Fri 12-Aug-05 15:59:45

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that dd knows the pervious tenant and she say's that it only has three bedrooms too!!

Distel Fri 12-Aug-05 16:00:04

Maybe pathetically silly answer, but howabout getting the councillor round to count the windows. Only 3 + bathroom in a 3 bed house. Maybe then he can get involved and get them to force them to let him in.

starlover Fri 12-Aug-05 16:01:33

soyunds a bit like my aunt's house.
when selling it she was informed that she didn't have plannig permission for her single-storey extension

quite odd because she doesn't HAVE an extension. She does however have a patio with a foot high wall round it.

Squirrel3 Fri 12-Aug-05 16:02:27

What a good idea Distel!

Also there is a different firm renewing the roof, maybe they will let the councillor in, but maybe not, I know they are not allowed to let people in.

Distel Fri 12-Aug-05 16:03:45

I only say this as we are waiting to move with a housing association and I find myself looking and counting windows of empty houses to try and work out bedrooms.

Squirrel3 Fri 12-Aug-05 16:04:23

appologies to any one who works for the local council but I'm sure part of the job description is you have to have a part labotomy!!!

Squirrel3 Fri 12-Aug-05 16:05:25

Joke, please before I get hundreds of people having a go... It was a joke.... sorry

SaintGeorge Fri 12-Aug-05 16:05:33

Counting windows doesn't help.

We only have 2 bedrooms + 1 bathroom upstairs, but 5 windows.

Distel Fri 12-Aug-05 16:06:03

Well there are 5 of us in a 1st floor 2 bed flat and we have been told that we are not a priority. We don't even have a garden and my 3 children all share a bedroom.

Squirrel3 Fri 12-Aug-05 16:10:33

My dd did get some points for having children in a flat but the reason she needs to be moved urgently is there is no lift and she can't manage the stairs without help, she most certainly can't carry the new baby down its dangerous enough for just her to get down, she nearly fell down the stairs several times when she was pregnant. It scares the life out of me watching her trying to negotiate the stairs.

Distel Fri 12-Aug-05 16:11:40

Thats so sad. Have they given any reasonable lenght of time they expect her to wait untill a house comes up?

Squirrel3 Fri 12-Aug-05 16:13:57

Please I wasn't trying to alienate anybody who works for the council forgive me <<<big puppy dog eyes emoticon>>>... any ideas on how to prove there is no fourth bedroom.

Squirrel3 Fri 12-Aug-05 16:19:17

Distel, they keep on telling her that the next one that comes up is hers but this week dp has taken on two empty properties that would be ideal for her, one was a three bed bungalow (sp?) but they told her that that had already been allocated.

I don't understand why they are lying about this new house, there is enough room for the Occupational Therapy to put in a 'through lift' if necessary, it has a large garden for her kids to play in, its perfect for her.

Distel Fri 12-Aug-05 16:25:02

They sound like real gits. I can't think of any way that you can prove them wrong about bedrooms, but dh is a builder so I will explain the problem and see if he has heared of anything like this before. He may have an idea. I really hope she moves soon, I understand how miserable she must be, I know how much it gets to me....and I can get out so it must be twice as bad for her. Will post later if dh has any ideas.

Squirrel3 Fri 12-Aug-05 16:29:36

My dp is a builder, working on the property and its def a three bed. I personally think that there is some dodgy dealings going on, I think that someone in allocations has got it 'ear marked' for someone they know!!!!!!!!!

Distel Fri 12-Aug-05 16:31:00

Sounds like it is more than likely. Is it council or housing association.

Squirrel3 Fri 12-Aug-05 16:34:30

Council.

I'm wondering about getting the local MP or the newspapers involved now.

Distel Fri 12-Aug-05 17:10:14

I would, we are with the housing association that bought out the council about 8 years ago. We have terrible problems with damp on all our outide walls, do you think we could even get someone to come and look at it, let alone do something about it!!!!!! I mentioned I was thinking of going to papers/mp as what we were living in was a health hazard. Surprise surprise we had the problem delt with immediatly. Just treatening them with it should make them realise you are serious. If they ignore you.......go to the papers.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: