Talk

Advanced search

how do sahms & single mothers do it?

(29 Posts)
SenoraPostrophe Fri 12-Aug-05 15:46:33

so 2 weeks in to our holiday without dh (he has to work) and I am absolutely exhausted.

I normally work about 2/3 of full time and this is also my first two weeks in a long time of being at home with them.

How do you lot who do this all the time manage? hats off to you all, I say.

(I'd type more on this - stuff about feeling inadequate, aching feet etc - but can't because I have to have a lie down before my head hits the keyboard)

cod Fri 12-Aug-05 15:50:50

Message withdrawn

PrettyCandles Fri 12-Aug-05 15:51:54

My philosophy is that a little boredom is a good thing. I don't try to keep the children entertained all the time - they need to have the opportunity to find ways of entertaining themselves as well.

Sometimes it works . The golden rule is that their nap-time or any quiet independant play-time, is my^-^time. No housework, except perhaps getting supper started on some days.

But you know what? I don't know how single parents and working mums manage! Surely you have so much more to juggle than I do?

KateandtheGirls Fri 12-Aug-05 15:52:29

Exactly Cod.

From a SAH single mother who is currently ignoring her 3 year old.

PrettyCandles Fri 12-Aug-05 15:52:29

Cod -

cod Fri 12-Aug-05 15:53:37

Message withdrawn

spidermama Fri 12-Aug-05 16:11:27

For my part I have learned to accept that temporary bouts of madness are inevitable. I'm learning to ride the bad times and hold out for the good ones. Because the good times are fantastic.

serenity Fri 12-Aug-05 16:28:40

Take them out and let them run around and wear themselves out, and then on days like today where I'm knackered (got home from work at 1am and then watched Lost and House in blissful childlessness) thank god that some wonderful people invented....

Toonamie, Cbeebies, party bags that can be carefully rationed out, DVDs, paints, pokemon cards and bath toys. DS2 and DD got so covered in paint that I stuck them in the bath, where they played for 45 minutes so two birds with one stone really!

I'm still knackered, and I've got to go to work tonight, but DH has promised to take them out tomorrow so I can have some free time and get the house de-tipped and un-chaosed.

SenoraPostrophe Fri 12-Aug-05 19:37:11

<snort> oh I ignore them sometimes!

it's hard to ignore the most stubborn 18 month old boy in the world though.

essbee Fri 12-Aug-05 19:38:20

Message withdrawn

Gobbledigook Fri 12-Aug-05 19:39:53

Dora the Explorer and Sky+ - we currently have 21 episodes recorded

SenoraPostrophe Fri 12-Aug-05 19:40:52

we're at grandma's house so we've had nemo about 7 times so far...

harpsichordcarrier Fri 12-Aug-05 19:51:53

more tv, and more biscuits/ice creams.
also, we are all sluts when it comes to housework (or just me?)

mummyhill Sat 13-Aug-05 11:02:41

TV for a bit of peace. dotting grandparents are a god send in this house. Ignore the house work as much as possible. Take kids to park and let them run riot.

Seriousley though you get into a routine much the same as you. I only work 23 hours a week (evenings and weekends) and we have managed to get into a good routine. If our shifts overlap dd goes to nanny. Durring the day we do mums and tots in the morning together then we go home and have luch in the afternoon dd goes to nursery (term tme only) whilst i do the housework. Then we have fun and games till dh gets in and i go to work. Durring the holidays the housework get ignored or the telly goes on for a bit so that i can get on with it.

mumtosomeone Sat 13-Aug-05 11:31:01

I cant understand how you fit work in!!!
I have 5 kids but stay home! Hubby works long hours. varying from day to day. somedays he leaves home at 7.30am and gets home about 7 pm. sometimes he isnt in till midnight. somedays he starts at tea time!!
How can I fit in a job too!!!
child minding

Twiglett Sat 13-Aug-05 11:36:44

we have a magic device in the corner of our lounge, underneath which are stacked many varied and exciting magic spells ..... aladin, power rangers, beauty and the beast etc

there is a further treasure box which has in it varied machines of plastic, wood and batteries

we also have doors, others rooms and an ability to fine-tune our hearing to ignore moany cries and respond to cries for help

my 4 year old looks after the 15 month old pretty well normally

mummyhill Sat 13-Aug-05 11:49:51

Ahh thats the difference I only have one child for the next 24 days then if no two arrives on time i may have to revise the routine. I would not be able to go to work if i had 5 at home.

MaloryTowers Sat 13-Aug-05 11:51:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mrsmoons Sat 13-Aug-05 12:46:10

I've been at home for 5 years - which means I have no money, no sanity, energy and precious little enthusiasm left However, just gone back to work for (fanfare pleae) 10 hours a week! And I take me hat off to you working parents. NOW I am knackered! Five years ago I ran around stimulating, interacting with and educating my poor ds, he was read to on a daily basis, taken to every playgroup and activity under the sun, I made my own playdough and collected empty yoghurt pots and loo roll inners for craft projects, had a constant stream of other people's kids round for play dates, limited their tv viewing etc etc etc. and was probably the most obnoxious smug, perfect mummy around.And the poor little fella wasn't given a moment to be bored in, or just to chill!! Now my dear boys are left to their own devices, I do hardly any housework, hate having other kids round and hide upstairs with a good book as often as poss! But the kids are happy, I'm happy and my dh thinks I'm much more chilled. Not sure what point I'm making btw! But I guess I've just learned to roll with it all xxx

mrsmoons Sat 13-Aug-05 12:47:24

PS I agree with twiglett !!

Gobbledigook Sat 13-Aug-05 12:49:20

Being a SAHM or WOTHM is really not that bad if you have a partner who is supportive.

It's single mothers I have admiration for.

Gobbledigook Sat 13-Aug-05 12:49:59

And those that are restricted by cash (or lack of).

fairyfly Sat 13-Aug-05 12:56:17

Once you get used to being a single mum it is really not that bad. You learn how to make life easy for yourself. I think it is difficult when your not used to certain situations, i.e. off work etc. I have organised my life now that it is a hassle free as possible. My children go to bed at seven and i relax ready for the next day. But as pointed out i don't constantly entertain them, i have taught them that each and every one of us should learn to spend time alone and give each other space and we all go to our bedrooms for peace.

mummyhill Sat 13-Aug-05 12:56:30

Well DH is out teaching karate to other peoples children and the weather is vile so we are cooking a chocolate fudge cake and may do some scoobydoo biscuits if we have time. DD loves making a mess in my kitchen.

mummyhill Sat 13-Aug-05 13:00:39

Most of my friends are single mums and i admire them, they never have time out from the kids but manage to do more with them than I do with my daughter and they never complain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now