Talk

Advanced search

Has anybody used their MOBILE to connect a LAPTOP, with a pay and go

(15 Posts)
RTKangaMummy Thu 11-Aug-05 19:46:08

Has anybody used their MOBILE to connect a LAPTOP, with a pay and go?

How does it work does the mobile just ring the 0845 number?

Can you make it then go to the cheaper mins after 3 mins?

I am with O2 btw.

PLease does anyone know

Thank you

RTKangaMummy Thu 11-Aug-05 20:47:30

I guess no one understands what I am going on about

Is it a confusing question?

Or is it that no one else knows the answer?

RTKangaMummy Thu 11-Aug-05 20:48:25

BTW I have a cable that goes from phone to USB

HappyDaddy Fri 12-Aug-05 08:58:39

Generally, it's not worth doing. Once connected, you'll be paying mobile rates and not the cheaper ones. Also the connection speed is limited to the mobile's speed which is woefully slow and virtually unusable.

harpsichordcarrier Fri 12-Aug-05 09:15:30

I agree with Happydaddy. Expensive and really unreliable. Used to do it for work sometimes (travelled a lot) and it usually raises the blood pressure enormously. YOur are just in the middle of sending an email when suddenly..... lost.

RTKangaMummy Fri 12-Aug-05 10:51:21

Thanks guys

You guys are deffo brill

We are going to hotel next week and was thinking it would be cheaper than hotel dial up rates but obviously not

matnanplus Fri 12-Aug-05 11:45:44

Would it be a one off?

As i travel about alot i have a card that contains a sim card and i connect to the internet with this, a pay a monthly fee and my aol monthly charge.

?does the hotel have wireless points, this is another way to connect you can get a gizmo[argos] to go into the usb and it picks up the wireless signal, can do in coffee shops in uk for example.

Have a good time.

RTKangaMummy Fri 12-Aug-05 12:02:48

yes it is only for 5 nights

The laptop does connect wirelessly and may find a router nearby IYSWIM

The hotel doesn't have a wireless system so would use the dial up connection wire

It is just that I would be without mumsnet from monday to saturday next week and I am an addict

Nightynight Fri 12-Aug-05 12:10:47

is the laptops wireless connection Bluetooth though?

I think what matnanplus meant was to buy a thingy to connect to WLAN hotspots.

where are you going on your hol? WLAN is fairly common now in cafes, stations airports etc.

Im interested purely from a technical pov. from a human pov I should be offering counselling you mad woman

RTKangaMummy Fri 12-Aug-05 12:29:06

I can connect with bluetooth to mobile or use the lead etc.

THe laptop finds other peoples routers it has a centrino thingy

We are going to SHANKLIN on Isle of Wight

Is there a website that shows where open access routers or wirless cafes are?

I know I need help for my addiction

RTKangaMummy Fri 12-Aug-05 12:29:49

the laptop is a TOSHIBA SATELLITE PRO

Nightynight Fri 12-Aug-05 12:45:18

yes, I just looked it up, it has WLAN reception built in

try this website - but not sure how reliable it is.WLAN hotspot locations

agree that WLAN should be more cost-effective than using your mobile.

RTKangaMummy Fri 12-Aug-05 12:52:28

Hopefully a nearby hotel might have a wireless thingy or be like me, my router is open access perhaps someone else might have the same

DaddyCool Fri 12-Aug-05 13:45:00

hmmm.. slightly off topic but i'm a low tech peasant. i've got a IBM thinkpad with centrino do-da so it has all the 'gubbins' built in. i've just ordered broadband for home with a wireless router but does this also mean i can just hook up wirless to my 'account' anywhere where there is a a 'hotspot'? I should just start a thread on this sometime because it confuses the crap out of me.

RTKangaMummy Fri 12-Aug-05 15:15:44

when I went to hotel in wales had to get a key code and then could connect to their router

In susssex I can "SEE" other routers but they are too far away to get good connection

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now