(29 Posts)
meggymoo Thu 11-Aug-05 15:24:44

Message withdrawn

libbyss Thu 11-Aug-05 15:31:00

My first ever emoticon too!

starlover Thu 11-Aug-05 15:32:44

oh my god! the poor little mite!

KBear Thu 11-Aug-05 15:32:44

That mother is lucky someone like you came along. Don't feel bad, you did a good thing. You can't control other people's behaviour but I know you will be thinking about that poor child all day now. I don't know if the right thing to do would be to call the local Social services or leave well alone, only you can decide that but never feel bad for taking care of a child.

mummyjojo2D Thu 11-Aug-05 15:33:04

I wouldn't worry about the mothers attitude, you did a good thing. Just think how you would have felt if you had had left her there, she would have been on your mind all day. Some people just dont give a sh*t but you shouldn't let that change your good will or let it bother you when they are not greatful.

starlover Thu 11-Aug-05 15:33:08

kbear i was just going to add that i would ring SS too!

Distel Thu 11-Aug-05 15:34:26

Thats really horrible, you should feel proud of what you did, not like a do-gooder, you had genuine concern for the child. It makes me mad when things like this happen as it just adds to the problem of people being worried about helpping other people as they will be unsure of the response. Hope that makes sense, as I said you should feel proud.

meggymoo Thu 11-Aug-05 15:37:10

Message withdrawn

Lizita Thu 11-Aug-05 15:37:24

Yes definitely be proud. to say i probably would have walked past without really noticing she was alone or something.
I would be considering calling SS to i have to say.

MarsLady Thu 11-Aug-05 15:37:47

You did a great thing. I used to have neighbours that didn't give a rat's a.... about where their children had been brought home from. I remember taking 2 home to their parents who were completely indifferent and let their kids go straight back out.

You did a good thing. The mother is the stupid one!

starlover Thu 11-Aug-05 15:40:26

although, perhaps the mother felt SO bad about it, and so embarassed that she just tried to brush it off like it didn't really matter.
i guess you don't really know the ins and outs. although having said that, judging by the amount of time you spent with her you would wonder how the mum hadn't noticed she was missing!

meggymoo Thu 11-Aug-05 15:43:00

Message withdrawn

HappyHuggy Thu 11-Aug-05 15:44:06

I would probably call SS, better to be safe than sorry, what if the next person that finds her wandering down the road isnt a kind and caring person like you, or she walks infront of a car.

Well Done you though, you did the right thing, and that little girl was very lucky you were around today

starlover Thu 11-Aug-05 15:44:20

actually it's a shame you didn't take her to the police station! that may have shocked the mum a bit more

Twiglett Thu 11-Aug-05 15:45:39

call social services .. that's neglect

she could have been run over or anything

and well done

milward Thu 11-Aug-05 15:45:55

I'd involve the authorities here - just in case. No matter the home & clothes it's the care that counts. If my 2yr old had been gone for that long I'd have been calling the police & running round the streets.

dropinthe Thu 11-Aug-05 15:47:11

What a bitch-why have children if you are going to let them out in the crazy world on their own??

Am SO angry at this!

meggymoo Thu 11-Aug-05 15:47:15

Message withdrawn

meggymoo Thu 11-Aug-05 15:49:50

Message withdrawn

starlover Thu 11-Aug-05 15:51:33

you can call the nspcc or something and they will give you advice. they may suggest you take it further (ie to SS), am pretty sure you can do this anonymously

meggymoo Thu 11-Aug-05 15:52:49

Message withdrawn

milward Thu 11-Aug-05 15:53:12

Let the authorities go round & talk to this mum. Hopefully will avoid a next time.

Monstersmum Fri 12-Aug-05 21:45:47

Are u sure it was the Mum - maybe it was a nanny or childminder - in whcih cse the parents need to know.

FairyMum Fri 12-Aug-05 21:52:11

I would call SS too. She must have noticed the girl was gone? I always know exactly where my children are and I think most people do. I am shocked at this story!

Caligula Fri 12-Aug-05 22:04:19

Nothing wrong with being a do-gooder, it's better than being a do-badder. I'd call the NSPCC as well, tbh. I'm not the most overprotective of mummies, but 15 minutes when your front door is open, is unusually lax. That child could have been killed - or bitten by a less well-behaved dog than yours!

And what a reaction, shouting at a 2 year old - wtf does she expect if she leaves her front door open and then doesn't go looking for her child for 15 minutes? Sorry, I know we don't know the whole ins and outs of it, but on the face of it, it looks dismal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now