Talk

Advanced search

BT scams. WARNING to all customers.

(25 Posts)
spursmum Thu 11-Aug-05 12:19:35

I've just had a call from a company claiming to be the debt recovery agents for BT. They said that my last bill had not been paid (its not due for another week, i pay by DD and my account is well in credit) And could i pay it in the next day. I said that I would check my bank account as i knew it was in credit and decided to phone BT myself to check. The man at the customer services said it was nothing to do with them as they give you a weeks delay in non payment before they contact you. He told me my account was fine and should be careful if and when they phone back. The bogus company knew my BT account number, home address, full name and bill amounts.
I'm so glad that I had the sense to check things myself rather than hand out my private details from my bank card/account.
I'm so mad that I am shaking.How do people think that they can get away with this?

OK....breathe...rant over. Just thought I should warn everyone.
Oh and they said they will ring back in an hour!! This should be interesting!!!

RTKangaMummy Thu 11-Aug-05 12:24:08

Thanks for the message

hope you give them what for !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

spursmum Thu 11-Aug-05 12:27:22

My nerves are through the roof!! I'll be arrested for breach of the peace by the time I'm finished.

acnebride Thu 11-Aug-05 12:29:00

Blimey! Have you tried 1471 to get their number in case they don't call back?

bran Thu 11-Aug-05 12:31:15

Before you start shouting see if you can get their phone number and some details, say the baby's crying and you'll phone them back or something. Then report them to the police, this definitely sounds like some kind of fraud. My guess is that they won't phone back though, this kind of scam probably relies on getting people to give details before they've had time to think about it.

spursmum Thu 11-Aug-05 12:32:03

Already checked acnebride...withheld. Bt man asked to try and locate them. If they ring back I am going to try and get a contact number out of them. still

RTKangaMummy Thu 11-Aug-05 12:37:03

I don't know if you are married or have partener so please excuse me if I offend

BUT what about saying could your DH ring them to discuss this further as you are hopeless with bills etc.

spursmum Thu 11-Aug-05 12:41:55

Single mum Im afraid!! Probably why they tried me!! and im not offended.

RTKangaMummy Thu 11-Aug-05 12:54:37

oke doke

But it would say that on your bill though

if you had a partner

Have any of your bills gone AWOL through the post?

Do you throw them away or keep them or shred them?

Cos for him to have your customer number is worrying

DO you ever check them online?

Trying to work outr how he would have all the info

RTKangaMummy Thu 11-Aug-05 12:55:16

meant WOULD NOT

bundle Thu 11-Aug-05 12:58:48

BT send you another letter after the red bill and you can call it to say the payment is on its way. if - like me - you then forget to pay, you get cut off (only £10 reconnection fee tho)

spursmum Thu 11-Aug-05 13:01:04

Only ever check my broadband usage. No bills have ever gone walkies and i keep a years worth of bills just in case of disputes then shred them. Most basic household details are covered by the census. Maybe they found me there then did a bit of digging?

RTKangaMummy Thu 11-Aug-05 13:09:20

That is rreally worrying then can't see how anyone would find all the info out unless has access to BT computer

spursmum Thu 11-Aug-05 13:11:03

BT man is checking for me to see if anyone has had unauthorized access.
Quelle surprise!! they haven't rung back!!!

RTKangaMummy Thu 11-Aug-05 13:13:58

They seem to be doing a good job helping you

I don't surpose he will now then

Move on to another sucker to see if he can CON them

SOmeone not as on the ball as you

spursmum Thu 11-Aug-05 13:21:29

I thank you RTKM. i always wondered if i would be quick enough to pick up on a con.

RTKangaMummy Thu 11-Aug-05 13:27:15

Well you deffo did this morning

And thank you for telling us all and warning us

Please let us know if BT come back with an answer

spursmum Thu 11-Aug-05 13:30:38

Will do...am now going to destress with some retail therapy!!!

misdee Thu 11-Aug-05 13:31:19

off to town then?

RTKangaMummy Thu 11-Aug-05 13:31:34

you deserve it

spursmum Thu 11-Aug-05 13:34:18

Ah misdee going out with the bloke i have a date with on sunday. Spoke to him earlier so we are going to take the kids out.

misdee Thu 11-Aug-05 13:36:56

he has kids too? do i know him? oh get onto msn dear!!

sparklymieow Thu 11-Aug-05 14:05:34

oooooooo a mini date then SM!!!

Nbg Thu 11-Aug-05 14:10:52

Is there a chance that they could have got your details from an old bill that you have throwm out?

This sort of thing is happening more and more. Scum bags rooting through peoples bins for bills, receipts etc to get personal details.

JulieF Sat 13-Aug-05 23:46:41

We got this email from a colleague last week about another scam.

"I would like to warn everyone in the network about a phone call I have just received seemingly from India. A woman purporting to be from "First Telecom" (when pressed), telling me that this company had bought the line rental for
business customers from BT and would be introducing big price cuts in one month's time. She was checking the details with me that she held "in order to set up the new direct debit". She was quoting correct information at me about the account ie knew the first 2 digits of the sort code but then started asking me for the rest. I refused to give her anything until I`d talked to BT and she did not like that at all.

I came off the phone and checked with BT and it is a scam. Beware."

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now