Talk

Advanced search

Advice needed regarding neighbour and her sick husband

(7 Posts)
whimsy Tue 09-Aug-05 17:00:39

Just been talking to my sister who had seen one of my neighbours (their children go to the same school, although they are not really friends with each other).
Anyway she's told my sister that her dh is in intensive care fighting leukaemia and they have nearly lost him times and he still remains critical
I don't really know the lady except to say morning to or hello to at church on a Sunday. I feel I should do something for her but don't know what. She has 2 boys and I can't imagine what she must be going through, she's very quiet and they keep themselves to themselves really, but hate to think of her going through this and not helping in some way.
Should I make contact or leave it?(she is spending a lot of time at the hospital) Would she think I've been gossiping with my sister? Any advice

gigglinggoblin Tue 09-Aug-05 17:02:18

you could always put a 'thinking of you' card through the door with a note saying if she needs any help or fancies a cup of tea sometime you are there.

KBear Tue 09-Aug-05 17:02:56

Perhaps you could say that you know her husband is very ill and to call on you if ever she needs childcare for her boys for an hour or two or just a coffee sometime and give her your number.

I'm sure she will be grateful for that and then the ball is in her court.

spacecadet Tue 09-Aug-05 17:03:43

you could just put a card through her door saying you have heard about her dh and say could you help in anyway way, if she doesnt want the hekp, i guess she will just ignore the card. shes probably going to hell and back will appreciate the sentiment at least.

lilibet Tue 09-Aug-05 17:08:54

Yep , going with the majority here, send a card, with a note saying that you will help out with childcare etc if needed, put you r mobile number on and tell her that she can all you in case of emergency (but only put things that you mean or you may end up being phoned at 3 am!!)

How old are the boys?

whimsy Tue 09-Aug-05 17:39:24

Thanks, I will send a card just to let her know im thinking of them, then as you say the ball is in her court. Will also put my number in it and mention help with childcare,they are are 5 and 8.

hatstand Tue 09-Aug-05 18:01:08

If you don't know her very well I'd knock on the door rather than send a card - it would establish face-to-face contact, and, imho, would seem more genuine - a card's a bit anonymous

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now