Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

My lovely ex boss..

(8 Posts)
Carla Tue 09-Aug-05 12:32:57

had a masectomy a few weeks ago, and I've only just managed to have the courage to ring her. Does it make sense, to not want to call someone, cos she's probably spoken to a hundred people about it before, and I don't want to bombard her with me saying 'How's it going'?

She's so upbeat, starts her chemo on Thursday. I have absolutely no experience of BC before now. She knows she'll lose her hair, and jokingly talked of a 'Scarf tying' session Oxford NHS are offering.

What can I do, she knows I can't drive any more and has offered to take me to Sainsbury's - that's her helping me, but in a strange way I hope it's doing something (making her feel positive) too.

Any thoughts?

cod Tue 09-Aug-05 12:34:40

Message withdrawn

Carla Tue 09-Aug-05 12:37:46

Cod, I did ring her, and surprisingly she wanted to talk about it a lot. I thought she'd have talked about it to so many people for so long. I just think ... what else can I talk about? Me having known about it (and her having known I know about it) meant that she wanted to talk about it. But I just want to put some 'normal' talk things her way, if that makes any sense.

cod Tue 09-Aug-05 12:39:57

Message withdrawn

Tommy Tue 09-Aug-05 13:25:10

have you seen that book called something like "What can I do to help"? It was written by a journalist who had lung cancer (she died about 2 weeks ago ). I haven't read the whole book but there was a long article about it in the Observer a few weeks ago which I though was excellent. The book was written from her perspcetive about things that people did and said that were helpful and things which weren't.

Just been to find it - it's called "What can I do to Help? 75 Practical Ideas for Family and Friends from Cancer's Frontline" by Deborah Hutton. All the royalities go to Macmillan Cancer Relief

cod Tue 09-Aug-05 18:36:26

Message withdrawn

cod Tue 09-Aug-05 18:37:18

Message withdrawn

Fio2 Tue 09-Aug-05 18:40:18

good luck carla, you sound like a good friend. She most probably does want tot alk about it and have a sense of reality also. i am sure you have enough about you to be able to normaL THINGS, LISTEn chat and be yourself without worrying too much

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now