Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How do I write a character reference?

(4 Posts)
elsmommy Mon 08-Aug-05 10:53:07

My friend has applied for a job as a van driver and has put me down as a character reference.

The company have sent me a letter asking me to send it to them.

Have googled it but can't find any info, so does anyone know what kind of things I have to include, how long it should be and how to set it out?

Any help will be greatly appreciated as I have not got a clue where to start!!

Mum2girls Mon 08-Aug-05 10:54:55

I did one for a friend who was applying to become a smaritan, but id did ask me some specific questions about reliabilty, trustworthyness, honesty etc. I take it they've not asked anything??

Marina Mon 08-Aug-05 10:59:04

You have to make it clear how long you have known them and in what capacity. If you are working outside the home you can link your view of them as an employable person to the paid work that you yourself do.
I've done character references for friends returning to paid work and I always emphasise their trustworthiness and good interpersonal skills - the sort of things you would expect a friend, rather than an employer, to be able to comment on.
I don't think it needs to be long and I think it is quite in order for you to have a word with your friend and ask him/her what they would like you to put in. I always check with my friends because there are often clues in the job description and ad...

elsmommy Mon 08-Aug-05 11:25:38

They just sent me a letter, no specific questions!!

Thanks Marina, I'll be havin a go now!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now