Talk

Advanced search

Oh, I have to accept I'm getting old

(14 Posts)
Easy Sun 07-Aug-05 19:34:54

Took ds to a fair on Thursday evening. He went on all the kiddies rides, and the big bouncy castle, and we played for a while on the 2p waterfall thing.

As a treat for our last ride, I asked if he would like to come with me on the fast Whirly ride (called a cyclone I believe).

Well we got on, it started slowly, but as it got faster I became REALLY SCARED!!

I couldn't wait for it to end, terrified for myself, scared about ds, which of course really spoilt it for him as he got my vibes.

20 years ago I'd have loved it. I felt really foolish (and dizzy) when we got off, and have been sorry for myself ever since.

Is it ony me?

gigglinggoblin Sun 07-Aug-05 19:37:56

i get dizzy on the roundabout at the playground have to make excuses as to why kids should go on their own [shame]

nannyjo Sun 07-Aug-05 19:39:36

i can't even swing on the swings at the park. I dared DH to go on the waltzers a while ago and boy did i go green

spursmum Sun 07-Aug-05 19:39:51

I'm afraid to say that I still love them. The higher and faster the better for me!!!
I actually leave ds with the family for a weekend and disappear to Alton Towers just to scare myself silly for the day! I'm such a child !!

sallystrawberry Sun 07-Aug-05 19:41:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

jane313 Sun 07-Aug-05 19:43:54

its worse a big child (5+) pushes you on a roundabout, its very scarey.

I used to love fun fairs but at 22 I started vomiting and or feeling sick for a while. I even tried travel sickness tablets which did help.

The when I went to blackpool for a friends 30th I realised that I actually didn't enjoy them anymore and it was more like something to be endured than fun. it was rather sad, like waving goodbye to your childhood.

I went to Chessington last week and didn't go on an scary rides (for toddlers) with my son as there was a chance I oculd be pregnant. That made me sad as he was enjoying them so much and I wanteed to be part of it.

Fio2 Sun 07-Aug-05 19:59:18

pmsl!

bubble99 Sun 07-Aug-05 20:37:41

Me too, Easy. DH and I took the boys to a fair on the South Coast last month and there was a 'Turtle Ride.' DH had seen it in operation from a distance but when I got to it it was an innocuous looking thing, carousel height, with swings on chains. DS1 wanted to go on it and I merrily agreed to go with him. DH kept shtum.

It all started pleasantly enough, the turtle shell turned and we were flying around on our individual swings. And then.......... The bloomin' thing went up on it's pole to about 50 feet.

I'm a lot heavier than I'd like to be and I quickly realised that, whereas everybody else's swing chains were flying around in unison, mine was twisting and turning and making a horrible creaking sound. When I looked up the hinges looked as though they hadn't seen a can of WD40 for years. I was terrified. I could see DH's 'anxious, yet somehow loving every minute of it' face peering up at me. I was frozen in my seat with DS1 in the seat in front of me. I heard myself saying 'Isn't this fun?' 'Aren't we having a lovely time?' With a grin frozen to my face.

Moral of the story is definately look before you leap. And lose some bloomin' weight.

In general, since I've had my children I avoid any risks. My thrill may be my last and I'll leave a load of boys without a mum.

spidermama Sun 07-Aug-05 20:41:59

I know the feeling Easy. Have you tried rolling down a hill lately? Jeeezuss! I felt like I'd been in a car accident.

Easy Sun 07-Aug-05 22:17:37

Fio2, Honestly, it isn't funny at all.

I know I'm an older mum, but I don't want ds to regard me as geriatric !! I have to keep reminding dh that 40's isnt old these days. I was trying to prove it (and failed).

Glad I'm not the only one tho'

charliecat Sun 07-Aug-05 22:19:49

When we are at chessinton/alton towers I worry that ill still be going there when im 60 putting my false teeth in my pocket just in case I lose them on nemesis

cod Sun 07-Aug-05 22:21:12

Message withdrawn

Fio2 Sun 07-Aug-05 22:26:21

oh no easy dont tell me I am getting told off on here too

I diont think it has Fuxk all to do with being an older mum i am young and I crap myself nowadays

Fio2 Sun 07-Aug-05 22:27:02

and poiss myself but that has nothing to do with fear alot of the time

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now