Talk

Advanced search

I never read my kids bed time stories anymore

(14 Posts)
HondaDream Sat 06-Aug-05 12:26:06

I feel so bad but by 8pm I am knackered, my kids listen to BBC 7 little Toes show instead on their PC (which is fab). How old were your kids when you stopped bedtime stories? Mine are, 7, 6 and 5 years old

mumtosomeone Sat 06-Aug-05 12:35:26

I never really got into the bedtime story routine!
Sometimes we read before going to bed sometimes we dont!

jangly Sat 06-Aug-05 13:31:47

Went on until about age ten as I found I was enjoying the books as much as they did! I think its very important to carry on reading to them. You need to get them well into books to help with reading and to keep them away from the telly! If you put your feet up on the bed it can be quite relaxing.

006 Sat 06-Aug-05 13:35:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mumtosomeone Sat 06-Aug-05 13:36:17

I read to my littleones when they want and they 'read' to themselves all the time! My older ones read all the time too

paolosgirl Sat 06-Aug-05 13:39:42

Mine are nearly 8 and 6, but we still read to them - they both love it, and it's a nice way to end the day.

I'm knackered by 8pm also - a days work, running around collecting them from after-school, doing the homework, making the dinner etc etc etc - but I agree with jangly - I think it's really important. Plus reading to them helps them into a reading habit, which stays with them through life.

mumtosomeone Sat 06-Aug-05 13:45:56

it doesnt have to be at bed time though!
You could have an after tea story or a Saturday morning snuggle with a book.
Making books accesable (sp) is the most important thing surely?

paolosgirl Sat 06-Aug-05 13:50:49

Oh, absolutely. As long as you're reading regularly to them, it doesn't have to be bedtime - it's just with them being out at school all day, bedtime is the one time we all come together.

HondaDream Sat 06-Aug-05 13:57:50

I am feeling a bit more motivated after reading the reads have decided to make it a new policy in my house to read with and to them more. I love reading and was reminded of all my childhood days when mum had a clear out and gave me all my old Enid Blyton paperbacks.
My kids do have access to books and my littleone reads to herself in bed everynight.
I would like them to read more I guess it is up to me to lead the way.

jalopy Sat 06-Aug-05 18:09:36

I read to my 5yr old at bedtime. My husband reads to my 8 yr old son (llyr old listens in too!) when he gets back from work. All of them read really well but I think they like the fact it's being read to them and nice to relax to.

jalopy Sat 06-Aug-05 18:12:12

HondaDream, just noticed the spacing between your kids! No wonder your knackered! You deserve a rest!

sparklymieow Sat 06-Aug-05 18:12:55

my 7 year old reads to himself, I read dd1 a story every night, and dh reads to dd2. They enjoy it and its part of their rountine

mumtosomeone Sat 06-Aug-05 19:02:01

my dd reads to ds too at bedtime sometimes, which is nice.
Theres an idea. Let them choose a book and each read a section each night!
As they are similar ages that shouldnt be a problem. Some nights Mum reads sometimes dad then they read to each other!!!
What do you think?

WestCountryLass Sat 06-Aug-05 20:16:38

My DS is 3 and we hav eonly just got into reading at bedtime, he has never been interested in books until now!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: