Talk

Advanced search

Well - DH has found a job................

(12 Posts)
QueenOfQuotes Fri 05-Aug-05 20:49:45

nothing glamourous - a sales designer for Brackenbay Kitchens, pretty good basic pay, and a good commision stucture too.

Has a 4 day training course starting on Monday - then as from Friday he'll be doing it.

But we'll be able to start paying bills again

hunkermunker Fri 05-Aug-05 20:50:32

Fantastic!

spacecadet Fri 05-Aug-05 20:56:32

sounds like excellent news

emily05 Fri 05-Aug-05 20:58:25

that is great, know who to come to when we want a kitchen
It must be such a relief for you

chicagomum Fri 05-Aug-05 21:27:07

great news! how about you? come up with any ideas for what you can do (is this the job that will allow you do do a part time job too?)

Hulababy Fri 05-Aug-05 21:29:08

Good news

QueenOfQuotes Fri 05-Aug-05 21:43:30

chicago - no this is a different job - he had the interview for that one on Wednesday - but won't here until Tuesday. However on reflection and after lots of though he realised he really would be unhappy doing the job he had the interview for - just wasn't "him" at all - and while we need the money, him being unhappy wasn't really the way to go about it.

This is one he saw the advert for in the paper today!! One of those vague "we need you" type ads, called them at 2.30pm - came out into the garden at 2.45 and said he'd got an interview at 4pm - as they'd got the training course starting on Monday and figured that if he was suitable, and was still interested after learning more he could start then

As for me, well I put an ad in the local shop for ironing service on Wednesday night (about 10.50pm LOL). Had a missed call yesterday - who didn't answer their phone when I tried to call today. And of course I'm still pretty busy with the business, thanks to bubblerock I'm in the process of creating a "feed" to get our products listed on Froogle.

expatinscotland Fri 05-Aug-05 21:44:17

Awesome!

QueenOfQuotes Mon 08-Aug-05 22:00:15

OK - well change of plan.

After some serious discussion over the weekend he decided not to take it. Several reasons, most of which are too complicated to go into on here, but the general gist was this

1. The whole reason our business (and others) are suffering at the moment is because retail spending is down. This is broadly down to people having less money to spend.

This job would have entailed going into someone's house (after they've been 'cold called' on the phone and talked into an appointment - they do have a website but only useful if you know the address - hasn't come up in any searches we've done tring to find it) spending up to 4hrs (YES that's what the man said in the interview, because he doesn the 'designing' bit while he's there as well as the sales part) there and then trying to persaude them to buy.

This company offer credit (at 19.9%apr ) which is probably going to entice in a lot of people who can't really afford to buy something so expensive and who don't really need a new kitchen.

We/he didn't feel comfortable at the prospect of people, some of who are probably in the same sort of situation as us (and possibily some even worse off) signing up to buy something so expensive

So that's the general gist (probably haven't explained myself very well). He's expecting a letter in the post from the interview he had last wednesday (TV license officer - having to knock on people's doors who haven't paid their TV license etc etc) and if that's a "no" he's on the job hunt again.

You probably all think he's nuts for turning this job down.......

Milliways Mon 08-Aug-05 22:05:33

Not at all. Great that he doesn't loose principals for money. Hopefully his ideal job will come along soon - one that he will be happy doing

MrsGordonRamsay Mon 08-Aug-05 22:07:37

No

I don't, I am delighted, I don't "know" DH, but I do "know" you, and it just did not sound "right" IYKWIM

QueenOfQuotes Mon 08-Aug-05 22:18:52

Thanks both of you - reassuring to know that people don't automatically think we're stupid for him not to take the job. Money still desperately tight - but I'm going grocery shopping tomorrow - £50 cheque will have cleared into my account (not going to blow it all at once though LOL). We've managed since last Thursday on £15 - might "splash out" this time and spend £20

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now