Talk

Advanced search

Canyou tell me how you feel after a light general anaesthetic?

(34 Posts)
Twiglett Fri 05-Aug-05 19:58:48

I can read up on the side effects through googling but really want to know how you feel afterwards please (have never had one)

thanks

tiffini Fri 05-Aug-05 20:00:46

Abit dizzy for a few seconds, thats all I had.

hunkermunker Fri 05-Aug-05 20:01:17

I was sedated for dental work when I was 17. I felt totally drunk afterwards, then sleepy. Not bad - and very glad I'd not been awake for the dentistry!

Definitely need someone with you for afterwards.

spacecadet Fri 05-Aug-05 20:03:16

you will feel groggy when you first wake up, which may persist for a little while, then you may feel a little lightheaded and tired.

bakedpotato Fri 05-Aug-05 20:04:32

A bit giddy and very very hungry

HappyMumof2 Fri 05-Aug-05 20:05:03

Message withdrawn

bubble99 Fri 05-Aug-05 20:05:11

Spacey, you're describing my average morning.

spacecadet Fri 05-Aug-05 20:05:33

lol bakedpotatoe!!!!! yes you will be starving after being nil by mouth!

spacecadet Fri 05-Aug-05 20:06:14

bubble, i think im describing my own day actually!

bubble99 Fri 05-Aug-05 20:08:47

Twiglett. Are you talking about a 'Twilight' anaesthetic where you're conscious but groggy during a procedure? Or a daycare general anaesthetic where you're unconscious but recover quickly?

Twiglett Fri 05-Aug-05 20:09:52

I dunno .. he said 'a general anaesthetic for 10 or 20 minutes'.. suppose I should have asked really

mears Fri 05-Aug-05 20:09:58

Hi Bubble

Twiglett - depends what is being done as to how you will feel TBH.

Twiglett Fri 05-Aug-05 20:10:19

definitely a daytime procedure though (no overnight stays)

hunkermunker Fri 05-Aug-05 20:11:29

I've also had a day ward in and out anaesthetic - and if they'd given me painkillers before I'd came round, I might not have felt so rough afterwards!

Twiglett Fri 05-Aug-05 20:11:36

Hi mears <waves frantically> haven't bumped posts for a while

..its a loop diathermy (and he's going to do a local as well as the general he said) .. just wandering whether GA is excessive .. though am quite tempted at the concept of being unconscious

hunkermunker Fri 05-Aug-05 20:11:54

Er... I actually changed that to read "came"... Early night for this Hunker!

mears Fri 05-Aug-05 20:13:49

GA will be fine. You will feel as though you have just fallen asleep when you wake back up again. I actually liked the sensation of dropping off to sleep. You will wake up quickly but will feel sleepy throughout the rest of the day.

bubble99 Fri 05-Aug-05 20:27:34

And you won't puke, as long as you're a good girl and follow the nil-by-mouth instructions.

Gobbledigook Fri 05-Aug-05 20:28:08

I had a GA for wisdom teeth extraction. Tbh, I felt like utter s**t afterwards for a couple of days - really unwell.

However, I've had about another 5 GA and been completely fine after it.

I had a bad cold just before the wisdom tooth one so I don't know if that contributed to the bad recovery.

You should be fine!

Eugenius Fri 05-Aug-05 20:30:39

like you've eaten a drawer full of forks

Yorkiegirl Fri 05-Aug-05 20:31:52

Message withdrawn

anchovies Fri 05-Aug-05 20:34:02

I felt fine after my last short anaesthetic (20 mins), came round telling everyone I'd had a lovely dream about holidays! Was out of bed about 10 minutes after waking up and having a sarnie.

bubble99 Fri 05-Aug-05 20:41:07

Yes, to be fair, one of the anaesthetists I've worked with gives an anti-emetic with every GA. A few unfortunate people will get sick with a daycare GA even if they have followed the nil-by-mouth instructions. Many, however, will swear blind when they're being admitted that they haven't eaten or drunk. I, however, have been the recovery nurse holding a vomit bowl with very recently partially-digested MacDonalds in it!

spacecadet Fri 05-Aug-05 20:55:22

i always have to have an anti-emetic, i can remember after a leg operation, i was an in patient and a few hours later was served dinner which i promptly started scoffing, only to be hideously sick..i can still remember the nurses disgusted expression though when i started eating again, saying"i feel great now"!!!

Twiglett Sat 06-Aug-05 17:39:52

so if after my 2nd spinal block I needed an anti-emetic, does it follow that I might need an anti-emetic with the GA?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: