Talk

Advanced search

*********Jimjams*****************

(15 Posts)
soapbox Fri 05-Aug-05 19:28:33

I had a wonderful demonstration today of the point that you often make about telling children what they should do rather than what they shouldn't!

I was having my eyelashes dyed and had been in a state of sensory depravation while the dye took, lying down with cotton pads over my eyes which were stinging and dry and feeling uncomfortable.

The beautician said 'avoid opening your eyes' and of course all I heard was 'open your eyes' so cue an eyeful of stinging dye!!!

If she had simply said 'keep your eyes shut' then there would have been no confusion!

So I will now try hard to say the 'dos' rather than the 'don'ts'

soapbox Fri 05-Aug-05 19:28:34

I had a wonderful demonstration today of the point that you often make about telling children what they should do rather than what they shouldn't!

I was having my eyelashes dyed and had been in a state of sensory depravation while the dye took, lying down with cotton pads over my eyes which were stinging and dry and feeling uncomfortable.

The beautician said 'avoid opening your eyes' and of course all I heard was 'open your eyes' so cue an eyeful of stinging dye!!!

If she had simply said 'keep your eyes shut' then there would have been no confusion!

So I will now try hard to say the 'dos' rather than the 'don'ts'

soapbox Fri 05-Aug-05 19:28:58

Oops! Obviously I'm still seeing double

hunkermunker Fri 05-Aug-05 19:29:47

LOL, SB! (not at your stinging eyes though!) I'm catching myself when I hear myself saying "don't open the door" - I say "close the door" a lot, for instance! (DS has a cupboard fixation atm )

soapbox Fri 05-Aug-05 20:59:57

Bump for Jimjams!

Jimjams Fri 05-Aug-05 21:41:19

ha ha - oh god I must sound like a stuck record.

soapbox Fri 05-Aug-05 21:55:20

It is quite funny really, but hurt like hell at the time!

It was the way she barked 'avoid' 'avoid' at me, which made me feel rather daft

I then had a spray tan and have run marks down my face where the tears were still running!!

All in the name of looking half decent on the beach - why do I do it?????

Christie Fri 05-Aug-05 22:10:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Jimjams Fri 05-Aug-05 22:51:34

thanks christie- now I'm going to bed thinking Blue cow, blue blue cow - round and round in my head. Aaagh

hunkermunker Fri 05-Aug-05 22:52:39

Jimjams, I'll make you stop thinking of a blue cow. Just don't think of an orange penguin

Jimjams Fri 05-Aug-05 22:59:03

at least an orange penguin doesn't come with an annoying song.

hunkermunker Fri 05-Aug-05 23:18:03

You mean you don't know the orange penguin song?!

MrsGordonRamsay Fri 05-Aug-05 23:21:40

Oranjeboom Oranjeboom

It's a penguin not a tune...............

MrsGordonRamsay Fri 05-Aug-05 23:22:04

I am going to bed ................... I promise

Christie Sat 06-Aug-05 00:00:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now