Talk

Advanced search

What makes motor insurance increase?

(7 Posts)
Aniles Fri 05-Aug-05 08:56:56

Hi

My motor insurance has increased by about £50. My winscreen was smashed a few months ago and I paid a £50 excess fee at the time, so altogether I'll have paid about £100 for the smashed wondow. But I thought your insurance only went up if you are at fault, which I clearly wasn't. Is this right?

TIA

Aniles Fri 05-Aug-05 19:28:13

hercules Fri 05-Aug-05 19:29:22

any claims make it go up iirc.

Hattie05 Fri 05-Aug-05 19:34:09

Have you just renewed? Unfortunately car insurance goes up every year despite your being another year older another years driving experience etc

Did you have any no claims bonus? you may have lost that hence the more expensive quote.

You really should shop around though, i change mine most years, and nearly always lower the quote of my original insurer.

elephant.co.uk were quite cheap this year.

jessicaandbumpsmummy Fri 05-Aug-05 19:44:02

Windscreen claims DO NOT affect no claims bonus, and should not affect your renewal. It will be nothing to do with the windscreen claim that has made your insurance go up.

Have you recently moved house, changed car, added a driver? If none of the above, it appears to just be the annual increase.

(Sorry, Motor Insurance Clerk head on!)

milosmum Fri 05-Aug-05 19:56:55

hi- i actually work for a motor insurance company- windscreens DO NOT affect your renewal. so either of those claims would not have made any difference to the price you have been given..... if you have nt changed anything else on the policy- ie car, cover, milage or even your address then it will literally come down to natural rate increases on insurances policies in general... my company had natural rises of 2% this year but it will be different for each company.......basically you have to pay for all the idiots who drive without insuarance..

Aniles Fri 05-Aug-05 21:01:19

Thanks everyone

Yes, I've just had a renewal, and no other changes have been made so I just assumed it was due to the smashed window because over the last few years my insurance has gone down considerably, not up. Thanks for clearing that up!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now