Talk

Advanced search

40th birthday present ideas please!

(13 Posts)
elliott Thu 04-Aug-05 10:11:07

Being of a certain age, I'm experiencing a glut of 40th birthdays among my friends. I'm not fantastic at present buying, I've managed to think of things for two male friends so far but I'm a bit clueless (and a bit more intimidated about getting it wrong!) with female friends. Max spend around £30 I guess. I feel a bit embarrassed that I should have a better idea about the things they like, but I don't really.
Any ideas?

wino2 Thu 04-Aug-05 11:41:41

A personalised poem specially written for the person whose birthday it is. The longer youve known the person the better. Tell me of any amusing stories or things that have happened while you have known them. What are they like? Habits? What do you like /love about them?
I will then write you a poem to print out and frame. I did one for my sisters 40th as an amusing extra and she preferred it to the main present which cost a fortune.!!
E-mail me at cmwhite@blueyonder.co.uk and I will send you an example before you decide. It only costs £10.00 (or £20.00 if you want it printed onto a mug with appropriate picture or photo on the back). Good Luck!

spidermama Thu 04-Aug-05 11:47:29

Nice idea wino.

I was just about to do a thread on this because my BIL will be 40 in a couple of weeks and it's starting to give dh sleepless nights.

We're on an extremely tight budget.
So any ideas??
BIL works in IT, lives alone, undiagnosed but probable AS .... you know the type. Think BB's Eugene.

Anyway wino, I bought my sister a picnic set from a camping shop for her 40th and she loves it. No good for my BIL as he has no family.

Good luck and I watch this thread with interest and hope.

bundle Thu 04-Aug-05 12:04:01

is there anyone you could club together with to get an mp3 player or something teccy?

Frenchy72 Thu 04-Aug-05 12:25:50

a subscription to a magazine?
a nice photo in a frame?
some cinema vouchers?
a wash bag with mens product (shaving gel ...)?

hope this help

Frenchy72 Thu 04-Aug-05 12:27:14

ooops - sorry - a wash bag with female products (shampoo&conditioner)

elliott Thu 04-Aug-05 13:09:17

spidermama - for the men who've recently turned 40 we've bought: 3D mapping software (good for techy outdoor types); surfing lessons; and a stunt kite. The first two were bought jointly with other couples which can be a good solution to budgetary problems!
I think for one friend (a very good friend) I will see if I can get vouchers for a recently opened music venue here - then she can have a special night out with her hubby which I know she'll enjoy, but I haven't added to all our superfluous piles of consumer excess! (one of the problems I have with buying presents - I mean none of us really needs any more 'things'). The other one is more tricky, I know her less well and am rather in awe of her sense of style. So more risk of getting it wrong!

wino2 Thu 04-Aug-05 13:19:32

Forgive me for being so ignorant, but dont understand all these abbreviations. BB? Bump? AS? BIL? Is it just me ? Everyone seems to use these but I dont have a clue

Can someone enlighten me please !
Going out now but will check in later.

Tabs Thu 04-Aug-05 13:38:44

BB = Big Brother. Eugene is one of the contestants.

Bump is usually used to get a message back in active conversations if more responses are required.

AS = Asbergers syndrome (see special needs section for more info)

BIL = Brother in Law.

You can also click on 'Acronym List' in the menu at the top of the screen that you are on now to see some more of the common ones.

wino2 Thu 04-Aug-05 17:00:13

Thanks Tabs. Now I feel enlightened.

gigglinggoblin Thu 04-Aug-05 17:04:10

dp and all his techy friends love this website, especially the tshirts and caffeine stuff. i have ordered from there before and its fairly quick delivery. only problem is that you have to understand techy jargon to get some of the jokes on the tshirts. dp assures me they are hilarious tho

motherinferior Thu 04-Aug-05 17:04:17

My DP reached the big 4-0 yesterday (although he still looks distressingly youthful). I bought him a massage from a really good masseuse who'd been recommended - partly on the 'things' basis and partly because he is dreadful to get presents for. Is that a feasible idea? A friend gave me a facial from a nice local place for my birthday (ahem, 42nd) a couple of months ago, too.

spidermama Thu 04-Aug-05 21:33:07

Ooh 'stunt kite' elliot. You have to be very careful how you say that one don't you.

Great suggestions on here. I'll run them by my dh.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: