Talk

Advanced search

dh has given up smoking and is UNBEARABLE.

(24 Posts)
CountessDracula Wed 03-Aug-05 10:58:11

What can I do to help him feel less dismal? He is snappy and terse and I wish he would just snap out of it.

ilovehorses Wed 03-Aug-05 11:01:25

congrats to him but comissywotsits to you. The nicotine gum and planty of tlc. Sorry but never had a partner who smoked so can't help but I know people who have and would say just be as tolerant as you can and have friends houses to go to when he does get ratty so you both have space. sorry but not much else I can say.

Papillon Wed 03-Aug-05 11:02:18

perhaps he needs a herbal sedative for afew days... valerian?

A mate who is a homeopath gave her dh something to help him along when giving up - no idea what though!

failing all else lots of chocolate

ScummyMummy Wed 03-Aug-05 11:02:48

patches?

expatinscotland Wed 03-Aug-05 11:03:17

DH used Zyban and the patch and didn't get snappish. When he's tried cold turkey he's gotten too grumpy and as he stays home w/DD during the day he didn't want to be like that.

He did go through 2 rounds of trying to quit on the patch - unsuccessfully. That's why he was prescribed Zyban.

CountessDracula Wed 03-Aug-05 15:12:02

Thanks all

he won't try zyban

have bought him a herbal stress reliever and some rescue remedy!

jabberwocky Wed 03-Aug-05 15:22:34

Give him chocolate!

jabberwocky Wed 03-Aug-05 15:23:10

Oh, just noticed Papillon said the same thing

motherinferior Wed 03-Aug-05 15:26:09

Oh dear; I think the best thing you can do, probably, is just remove yourself from the situation. In a supportive way, of course. Leaving him chocolate. And eating quite a bit of it yourself.

charliecat Wed 03-Aug-05 15:26:53

give him the allen carr book or tell him to do some reading at whyquit.com

CountessDracula Wed 03-Aug-05 15:30:19

he has read Allen Carr (and been on the course twice) and Gillian Riley (and had a personal consultation with her)

elsmommy Wed 03-Aug-05 15:32:29

Give him caffine and don't talk about it to him

motherinferior Wed 03-Aug-05 15:34:01

If it's further support in not smoking he needs, I'm just writing up some stuff on the link between smoking and a nasty eye condition. But actually, in what you might call behavioural terms, being out of the situation a bit might help too as he won't get himself into that awful ratty situation of bickering, and then feeling he's just like this because he needs a fag, and so on. I am sorry. Nasty addition, fags, aren't they.

peckarollover Wed 03-Aug-05 15:35:58

Im 17 days into giving up Is he using patches? If he isnt get him to a chemist NOW they are really working for me and I am barely craving at all - neither is my sister who was a very heavy smoker.

charliecat Wed 03-Aug-05 15:37:11

Well he knows he wants to stop then! Massage him? Make him a coffee....

The only way to stop smoking is to never have another fag...which is really rather hard when your brain and all your senses are telling you you will feel MUCH better if you just go smoke. Its a nightmare.

monkeytrousers Wed 03-Aug-05 15:56:48

Inhalators are good to get over those moments.

dottee Wed 03-Aug-05 16:15:05

Just to say 'well done' to him. DP stopped a few years ago and it was intolerable but he did it (with patches). It's not pleasant but worthwhile in the end. He still wants a ciggie every so often though but knows if he has one, he'll restart smoking.

CountessDracula Wed 03-Aug-05 16:15:36

he has tried nrt of every description and it just prolongs the agony. He is trying cold turkey (the only thing that has ever worked for him)

Angeliz Wed 03-Aug-05 16:18:01

CountessDracula, the only thing to console me was the thought that if it all got too much i could have one.
Thinking like that made my will power stronger and i just kept thinking, maybe tomorrow.
Sympathioes to your dp (and you) it is AWFUL!!!

Angeliz Wed 03-Aug-05 16:18:37

I did it cold turkey too.
Over a year now and i still would love one.

expatinscotland Thu 04-Aug-05 15:23:40

Too bad he won't give Zyban a shot. DH once quit cold turkey for a year. And swore it was the only thing that worked. It did. But not forever.

So he went through trying all the NRTs. Until he finally got to Zyban.

And it truly worked.

oliveoil Thu 04-Aug-05 15:25:14

Tell him to get pregnant, it worked for me.

xx

expatinscotland Thu 04-Aug-05 15:27:37

DH would get really snappy when he went cold turkey. I told him sorry, but I just canNOT deal w/that, a child, being pregnant and two jobs. It's not my fault he smokes, why take it out on me? W/the Zyban, however, he NEVER craved. Now, ciggies make him sick.

charliecat Sun 07-Aug-05 10:40:55

hows he getting on?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now