Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Newborn reaction? (Quick Q)

(10 Posts)
BadgerBadger Wed 03-Aug-05 10:50:55

Can anyone tell me the name of the reaction newborns have, where they throw their arms out and freeze momentarily? Particularly as a reaction to the feeling they may be dropped?

I think it begins with 'M'.

TIA

assumedname Wed 03-Aug-05 10:52:15

Moro.

spidermama Wed 03-Aug-05 10:52:27

Morey reflex I think. I don't know if that's how it's spelled though.

spidermama Wed 03-Aug-05 10:52:42

Ahem. Trust her not me.

bundle Wed 03-Aug-05 10:53:41

moro reflex iirc

aloha Wed 03-Aug-05 10:54:05

Moro - it's a leftover from our monkey days - when babies were carried by their mothers. At the first sign of movement the baby monkey will reflexively reach and grab the fur to be carried off. I thought this was so cute. Even more so when I saw the baby monkeys at Battersea Park zoo clinging onto their mother's backs looking exactly like crumply little human newborns.

vickiyumyum Wed 03-Aug-05 10:54:14

startle reflex

BadgerBadger Wed 03-Aug-05 10:54:27

Thank you both!

I can never remember the name of it Spidermama.

BadgerBadger Wed 03-Aug-05 10:59:54

Thanks again .

The reason I am asking is because DD1 was prone to this reflex, several times per day for many months. The slightest movement would set her off and she would freeze for several seconds, whilst making a (ggnnnng) moan, then cry when she sould move again, I couldn't console her.

I did take her to a consultant when she was younger but because the reflex was 'even' they were unconcerned.

She doens't do it anymore, I'm not concerned as such, just interested in the marked difference between DD1's Moro and DD2's (which to me seems more 'normal').

BadgerBadger Wed 03-Aug-05 11:06:12

Has anyone else come across anything similar?

Aloha, we went to Monkeyworld recently. I remember seeing what you describe though didn't really think of it at the time. I was too busy marveling at the feeling of being surrounded by so many other breastfeeding mums .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now