Talk

Advanced search

Being measured for a conservatory tonight, what questions should I ask?

(16 Posts)
lilibet Tue 02-Aug-05 12:44:59

So that I look like I know what I'm talking about and I don't get ripped off!!

lilibet Tue 02-Aug-05 14:07:02

someone?

please???

jalopy Tue 02-Aug-05 14:37:29

Haven't got one but know several people who have. What direction does it face? North facing conservatories need decent heating in the winter months. Southfacing need good ventilation and blinds for the windows to control bright sunlight, heat etc.

Whizzz Tue 02-Aug-05 18:50:09

Check what sorts of locks are on doors & windows.
What type of roof material they offer.
Whats included in the price ie wiring lights, sockets, finishing floors, plastering, skirting boards etc.

Hope that helps !

lydz Tue 02-Aug-05 18:55:59

I think this is the site I found useful when I was investigating building a conservatory...lots of useful advice to help you deal with pushy salesmen!

Littlestarsweeper Tue 02-Aug-05 19:00:37

tee hee, just signed the paperwork for mine 5 mins ago.

Yorkiegirl Tue 02-Aug-05 19:00:57

Message withdrawn

Whizzz Tue 02-Aug-05 19:02:10

Oh and how many cups of tea the builders expect per hour !!!

Conservatories are great...I love mine

lilibet Wed 03-Aug-05 14:49:00

didn't bloody turn up

Littlestarsweeper Wed 03-Aug-05 19:18:53

Where are you. I saw about 4 of them two didnt bother to get their quotes to us after wasting an hour of our time a piece and Anglians quote was double the price of anyone elses. I settled on a Company called Horizon based in Bedfordshire.

Littlestarsweeper Wed 03-Aug-05 19:18:54

Where are you. I saw about 4 of them two didnt bother to get their quotes to us after wasting an hour of our time a piece and Anglians quote was double the price of anyone elses. I settled on a Company called Horizon based in Bedfordshire.

Whizzz Wed 03-Aug-05 19:19:54

Yes make sure you get a few quotes, there was a huge difference between ours.

Dingle Wed 03-Aug-05 19:30:42

Although Anglian's quote was way above everyone elses. It was well worth the time we spent with their salesman. TBH, he was the best, he certainly knew what he was talking about and covered loads of issues that we hadn't thought of and the cheaper companies hadn't even mentioned.
But saying that, each company is only as good as it's salespeople IYSWIM. You could have a really good sales pitch and a rubbish product or visa-versa.

Whizzz Wed 03-Aug-05 19:34:13

The company we used were a local firm - they didn't have any fancy salesrooms or brochures but did a fantastic job. Quite a few people had recommended them which is why we trusted them. I definately ask around & try & get some recommendations as a guide

lilibet Thu 04-Aug-05 12:25:03

lydz's site is really good - phoning more people at weeeknd.

006 Thu 04-Aug-05 12:35:19

Don't get a glass roof - v pretty but you will be forever washing off bird poo - and gets much hotter than opaque white finish

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now