Talk

Advanced search

how much should we pay (read on cos its a long question)

(11 Posts)
chicagomum Mon 01-Aug-05 21:43:16

we were going to sell our car when we came out to usa and buy a new one when we returned, but dh's aunt asked if they could use it whilst we were away as they are having financial difficulties and couldn't afford to keep the car they had on some sort of monthly financial package. anyway they emailed us to say the car broke down and has cost £500 to repair and need the money from us, now i've told dh that i don't think we should pay it as we are already covering the mot/tax /insurance/residence parking, but DH feels bad because of ther money problems. Do you think he's right or should we perhaps split the cost or should they pay all of it?

hoxtonchick Mon 01-Aug-05 21:44:04

they should definitely pay for it. the cheek of asking you....

lucylady Mon 01-Aug-05 21:45:15

I think they should pay for it. You are paying for everything else.

iota Mon 01-Aug-05 21:45:44

that's a tricky one, but I tend to think they should pay for it ( might go halves if I could afford it)

MrsGordonRamsay Mon 01-Aug-05 21:50:12

Ask DH's aunt if she thinks you have numbers after your name ???

Are you a registered charity ??

NO

I rest my case.

helsi Mon 01-Aug-05 21:52:11

If you intended on selling it to start with tell them that and the fact it has broken down means that you still don't intend on spending that amount of money as you didn't want to keep it in the first place. If they desperatley want to still use your car then they will have to pay for it otherwise you will have to explain that you are not prepared to pump money like that into something you don't intend on keeping.

chicagomum Mon 01-Aug-05 22:16:57

i agree with what you've all said, the trouble is its dh's family (whom i frequently don't see eye to eye with) and he feels that because of their situation we should pay for it as they can't afford to. had hd's mother on the phone last night saying how she is so worried about her sister at the mo with all the stress of the financial situation, then informs us she (the aunt)is of to prague for a mini holiday but only because she is attending a wedding otherwise she wouldn't go and "the poor thing really needs a break. anyway as i'm on maternity leave at the mo and dh is the only one bringing in money i feel a bit peeved but if he wants to help out his family what can i say. Just wanted to check that my thinking wasn't unreasonable and stingy as in the past i have tended to be a little unreasonable about certain things to do with his family

purpleturtle Mon 01-Aug-05 22:21:43

You are paying for them to drive it (tax and insurance), and to park it - when it's their responsibility that they live in a place requiring a permit?! I think you've already been very generous. You could have given them the car, in which case they'd be responsible for all of the above, and of course the repair bill.

It's true, i suppose, that if your dh wants to help his family that's his prerogative, but I would expect him to reach agreement wtih you over it somehow.

mummyhill Tue 02-Aug-05 11:39:34

If i asked to use someone elses car whilst they were out of the country I would expect to pay all the running costs durring that time I think you have been more than generous and that they are possibly taking the p a bit. If I can't afford to run a car I use public transport or walk.

assumedname Tue 02-Aug-05 12:02:07

chicagomum - you wanted to sell the car so the subsequent owner would have dealt with this repair.

As you have been generous enough to lend your car - without payment - I think they should fix it.

TracyK Tue 02-Aug-05 12:09:30

How much is the car worth?
Would you be able to sell it without getting the work done? You've done more than enough and how do you know they weren't driving the car like idiots and they knackered it!
I need my car insurance paying too - can you send me a chq for £200 please!! You are obviously v. generous!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now