Talk

Advanced search

don't you hate it when

(28 Posts)
alux Mon 01-Aug-05 13:49:14

you go to the supermarket and all the parent and child bays are filled up so you park elsewhere and on the way into the store someone gets into a car in a parent and child bay but without a child?

Mum2girls Mon 01-Aug-05 13:56:02

hmmm, well tbh, I don't care too much.

I actually think old folks should get preferential parking, more so than parents.

Tommy Mon 01-Aug-05 14:02:04

I always challenge them

DissLocated Mon 01-Aug-05 14:02:38

Drives me nuts, so many p&c spaces seem to be located by cash machines which doesn't help.

HappyHuggy Mon 01-Aug-05 14:03:31

i always ask them where they got there invisble baby from

Twiglett Mon 01-Aug-05 14:06:22

challenge them .. definitely .. maybe next time they won't park there out of sheer embarrassment even if they mouth off at you

Listmaker Mon 01-Aug-05 14:06:31

I used to hate that too (my dds are too old to use them now and I shop on-line!). I'm not really very brave so don't usual challenge people but one day I did as I was packing my car next to a childless woman. She gave me a right mouthful - said 'people like you' shouldn't be allowed here at all and all this other stuff. She was REALLY mad!

After that I was too chicken to say anything again. I figure anyone who is selfish enough to do it will not give a stuff what I say!

QueenOfQuotes Mon 01-Aug-05 14:07:46

We rarely use them even if they are there.

triceratops Mon 01-Aug-05 14:07:47

I always see parent and child places as a luxury so I am not too bothered if they are full. I frequently park in them when I don't have ds with me by habit, so I would be pretty two faced to be peeved when someone else does. I am very pregnant at the mo so I could argue that some mother with a seven year old can walk further than me, and I need to open the door pretty wide to get in and out of the car . I would never ever park in a disabled bay though - that is wrong.

QueenOfQuotes Mon 01-Aug-05 14:09:57

Our local Matalan use to have problems with people using it for free parking for the town (as there's a quick pedestrian short cut through to the main shopping centre),

They've recently put signs up saying that anyone who parks for over 2hrs, or is found parking in a Disabled Parking Space without a badge will be fined £50 - and I've seen cars being fined too

spidermama Mon 01-Aug-05 14:12:41

It's always some arse young man in a sports car IME and yes it really does annoy me.

Good for you Tommy to challenge them. I'm not that brave. I might say something if I'm in a really bad mood anyway.

Tommy Mon 01-Aug-05 14:50:06

I challenged an old bloke outside Safeways the other day and he shouted back "Well, you shouldn't park in disabled bays then...."
Errrr...excuse me, Sir, I am parked in a Parent and child space and never park in a disabled bay - no idea why he said that!
I do get a bit stressed when i challenge people but sometimes it works and they move!
It really makes me cross

PeachyClair Mon 01-Aug-05 15:16:53

Ooh that's annoying yes! I don't have a problem with old folks spaces, there should be more places that do those too, but when I have he three under six Dh's, trying to get number 3 in a buggy whilst DH1 (AS kid) tries not run at cars (not sn enough for a diabled sticker), and DH2 is crying coz you're so tied up with 1 and 3.... yes I reckon I should get a spcae!

NEVER park in them without kids though. And I have never parked in a disabled space, very low thing to do.

Local supermarket to old our house wold direct peopel to our road to park when full, we had clampers on one side (railTrack rented it out for the specific purpose), and supermarket shoppers on the other, we often had to drive for half an hour to find somewhere to park, (no garages or drives, Victorian terrace) and SH often had to do this when he got home from a night shift. I would have to decide whether to walk DS 1 and 2 down then come back for DS3 in his buggy leaving 2 kids out of sight in car (they needed hands holding as next to A39) or other way round.

Parking here not great, but at least family members won't be clamped for coming to vosit

Spongebob Mon 01-Aug-05 15:20:12

A quite amusing but embarrassing thing happened to DP and me the other day in Tesco car park. We were hanging around for a parent and child space (all were full) when we saw a guy returning to his car (alone, no kids) with a large box. We moved in to nab the space, but he put the box in his car boot and walked away from his car. At that point my DP called out "wanker" and did the actions etc....and the guy turned aound and walked towards us. My DP got ready for an argument, saying he was going to punch him one (yeah yeah, as men do)....The guy came up to the window and very politely explained that his wife and children were still shopping and he had just returned to his car to put a heavy box in the boot. My DP didn't believe him and still told him where to go. I was so embarrassed....especially when I looked inside his car and saw two little car seats in the back...oops

Mum2girls Mon 01-Aug-05 15:24:28

<<<<cringe>>>>> Spongebob!

chicagomum Mon 01-Aug-05 15:34:28

i don't care if the spaces are near the shop or not i just find that often the "normal" spaces are to narrow and if anyone parks inconsiderately you simply can't open the doors wide enough to get car seats etc in so what do you do then? leave your child in the middle of a busy car park and then move the car/ i was discussing this with my aunt recently (who is a nusre in a residential elderly/disabled home) and she said that they're not necessary they need more disabled spaces, there weren't any in her day so why have them now?!?!

PeachyClair Mon 01-Aug-05 15:39:30

They didnt have car seats in her day either, bet she wouldn't do away with those!!

jane313 Mon 01-Aug-05 15:42:03

What really annoys me is people parking in disbaled places when the rest of the car park is empty. Its bad whenever but if there are hundreds of place to park its just the height of laziness.

Catsmother Mon 01-Aug-05 15:44:42

Oh God don't get me started on this, it's one of my pet hates, and many of you appear to agree with me.

I find it vital to park in parent & child spaces as others must also find, so I can lean in properly and get my toddler in and out of the car properly strapped. The "ordinary" spaces in many carparks just aren't wide enough to allow you to do this, let alone if some inconsiderate git parks 2 inches from the door ....

... I also found them invaluable when heavily pregnant, with severe pelvic pain which meant I couldn't walk far.

Our local Tesco's is populated by very selfish & ignorant shoppers who feel it is their "right" to use spaces intended for people who need a bit of space, i.e. parents with young children, and the disabled. I've got so fed up of that I once entered into long running correspondence with Tesco's so-called bloody Customer Service department, where I suggested how the problem of selfish drivers might be addressed.

Needless to say, Tesco's were very reluctant to "get involved", saying only that spaces were "regularly monitored" .... by people with blindfolds on it would appear. I've never seen anyone doing any "monitoring", much less remonstrating with someone who shouldn't be there. I suggested that the "monitor" should be armed with a supply of large fluorescent stickers, which could be slapped on the car's paintwork saying "I am a lazy, ignorant, selfish git" or words to that effect .... i.e. "name and shame" them ! The sticker wouldn't be the sort that could damage the car, but it might deter them from doing it again. I also suggested that maybe clamps could be used.

TBH, my little "campaign" was somewhat tongue in cheek, but I was, and still am, serious in my hatred of people who do this, and it makes my blood boil that the carpark's owners do so little about enforcing it ..... yet have this crowing attitude in all their literature about "baby clubs" and the like about the facilities they (sometimes don't) provide.

BTW, if I'm on my own, I never use those spaces. Yet the number of people who have no shame about it seems incredible to me .... parent & child spaces appearing to be "fair game" even more than disabled spaces. I have tried remonstrating on occasion myself but just got mouthfuls of abuse. I've lost count of the number of times I've been told that "I'm only going to be a minute" .... like that makes any difference at all FFS. I've also pointed out to a no. of people that they've "forgotten something". When asked what, I tell them it's the young children which would entitle them to use the space and then get told "ha ha very funny you stupid bitch, f* off and get a life".

So what can you do when faced with the likes of that ?!

jane313 Mon 01-Aug-05 15:52:39

I have for many years wanted to get stickers made up (on the sort of paper that is really hard to get off) to put on non disabled people parking in those spots. Something like "I'm a selfish lazy idiot who parks in disabled spaces"

I would sneakily stick it on somewhere obvious then drive off to avoid confrontation.

alux Mon 01-Aug-05 17:07:18

now i can share what I did today. A young woman no child in sight, pulled in next to me in a new mini. before i could get out of my car she was gone in the shop so I made up my mind that the next person I can tell I would. (complained in the shop first but she was leaving already as I was complaining)

On my way out a BIG man - 6ft+ and possibly 20+ stone was loading up his groceries in his brand new BMW 4X4 with his what looked like 12 yr old daughter who he sent to put away the trolley. As he was driving off past me, I said: it's a bit rich you parking there, isn't it sir?

His reply: Listen: Are you even British?
Me: Yes I am. now f*ck off!
Him: Well you don't look or sound it! (Driving off)
Me: just f*ck off!
Him: (don't know what he said as out of earshot)
Me: just f*ck off and go f*ck yourself. (at the top of my voice, everyone looking around)

In retrospect, the only thing I would change was my first response. It would go like this:
Yes, I am British and I pay taxes too so f*ck off you fat racist oink.

spidermama Mon 01-Aug-05 17:22:29

God Alux! Horrible beast. I would take me a couple of days and a good long swim in the sea to recover from a horrible incident like that. I hope you're OK.

By the way, IKEA is not my idea of heaven but they've got one thing right. I've been in there and heard, several times over the tannoy, 'would the owner of the car registration XXXXXXX please come and move it. You are parked in a disabled space'. Good for them.

Tortington Mon 01-Aug-05 17:44:21

i must have missed the "british only" mother and toddler spaces...where are they then - and can you get them in other nationalities?

Catsmother Mon 01-Aug-05 18:55:43

But obviously, there are special spaces for chavvy/selfish/you lookin' at me mate/foul mouthed tarts/ignorant/illiterate oiks, judging by the amount of times I found one of these creatures in a space they shouldn't be in. Obviously, even though the spaces say they are for parents with young children or disabled people, to you and me, these people have some kind of extra special seventh sense which does indeed tell them that really, it's okay for them to park there. It's obviously the rest of us who are at fault for daring to suggest otherwise.

Just come back from Tesco, and in the space next to me sat a young girl of about 19, in her oh so "look at me" Puma, yakking away on her mobile. NO sign of children of course. The stupid selfish cow hadn't even gone to get any shopping, was just sitting there taking up space.

I shook my head at her very disdainfully as we drove away.

But when are the big stores (especially) going to take up Ikea's example and actually try and do something about this ?

alux Mon 01-Aug-05 19:02:45

Comments like that don't get me upset SM. they get me riled. I just answer them back as loudly as possible. They usually don't want too much attention drawn to their smallmindedness.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now