Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Locked DD inside the car today - but she was a star and got us out again :)

(7 Posts)
Hulababy Fri 29-Jul-05 19:53:56

I had a potential nightmare at supermarket on way back from the MN meet today.

I put DD (3y 3m) back in to her car seat, put my bags in boot and my proper back on passenger seat, Car keys were in the bag. Shut the door and..yes..locked the car doors. No idea how or why it happened at all. DD was inside, with keys and mobile too. Boy, did I panic.

A lovely couple stopped to help - he was going to try and phone his roadside recovery to help - details for mine was inside car too. Argh.

But DD was an absolute star With some persuasion - the lady offered her a pound coin -we got her to undo her car seat (quite stiff so not always easy), climb into front seat - through middle right over the upright arm rest. She then had to go through my bag and find the car keys. And then find which key to press to open the door. But she did it - with help from me and the lady shouting instructions through the closed windows. Bless her - so did really well, and got her £1 treat and a bar of chocolate

If DD had been younger I'd have been stumped. No phone; couldn't leave the car; no car rescue number to phone; DH was in pub on his mobile and that number was on my mobile, inside car; eek!!!

Moral of story here - keep your car keys on you, until you are inside the car too.

hunkermunker Fri 29-Jul-05 19:55:50

Hula, how scary! Glad DD was able to unlock the car.

I always leave the keys on the roof of the car or in my pocket if we're somewhere crowded while I put DS in the car - and one of the other doors open if poss too. Paranoid - me?! Yep - just a bit!

Hulababy Fri 29-Jul-05 19:58:52

I normally open the driver door first too, and leave it ajar. No idea how it locked. Must have been either when I put my bag down - maybe it hit the central locking button. Or mnaybe DD pressed the button down on the passenger door by accident when she was climbing into the car. Not sure.

purpleturtle Fri 29-Jul-05 20:10:30

Thanks to a father who regularly locked us out of the car when I was growing up (in German motorway service stations, Austrian campsites, various other 'interesting' places) I always put my keys in my pocket.

apart from the times I lob them through onto the driver's seat...

Glad you got home okay in the end. It was fun this afternoon.

CountessDracula Fri 29-Jul-05 20:11:40

Well done your dd hula - this happened to a friend and she had to get the fire brigade to smash a window!

Hulababy Fri 29-Jul-05 20:12:42

The couple I was with suggested that he used his mobile to call the local police. Wasn't at all sure who to phone, as didn't have breakdown information outside of car.

DD was brill

purpleturtle Fri 29-Jul-05 20:15:32

In the old days you just needed a coathanger. My dad's windowseals were wrecked.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now